Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all ~ Three weeks ago I was lucky enough to purchase a one-owner, 2008 FJ with only 57K miles. It's in excellent original condition and I couldn't be happier! Ironically it's still running with the original battery. Have any of you experienced FJ owners had your original battery last 11 years? So far it turns over just fine...but I'm truly amazed at how old it is without being replaced.

·
Desert Moderator
5,856 Posts
The stock Panasonic battery was made right.
Not sure how many 11 year old batteries are still in service, but they do last.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
If you do a search here you'll find a number of threads about this topic. Toyota OEM batteries are remarkably long lived. But, I'm with amaclach on this one, 11 years might be some kind of a record.

:)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I got over 11 out of the factory Panasonic battery in my last car, a Scion. I only replaced it because I got stuck with a different car with a bad battery and figured I shouldn't push my luck.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Got 10 years out of the stock Panasonic.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I have been stranded on a trip by an old battery in a remote area, not worth pushing it IMO. I prefer to replace batteries on my schedule, not theirs.

·
Banned
134 Posts
Hello all ~ Three weeks ago I was lucky enough to purchase a one-owner, 2008 FJ with only 57K miles. It's in excellent original condition and I couldn't be happier! Ironically it's still running with the original battery. Have any of you experienced FJ owners had your original battery last 11 years? So far it turns over just fine...but I'm truly amazed at how old it is without being replaced.
Congrats on your 08! I think battery life depends on the environment. Mine came with a 2 year warranty and I know from experience that batteries in the Middle East rarely last longer than two years. Time will tell because I only picked her up last week :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Climate on where you live has huge impact on battery life. We are 100 F in summer and -10 in winter I replace batteries at 5 years because I know if I go longer than that they will leave you stranded.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Managed 8 years on my OEM Panasonic- think it might still be going if I hadn't accidentally killed it- went on a long trip, left the FJ at home and thought I'd plugged in my solar battery maintainer on the dash. Oops plugged in a gps by mistake. Gone a couple of weeks and battery was deader than dead.😕

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just replaced mine after 12 years in my 07 FJ, there was actually nothing wrong with it, just figured with winter coming, I didn’t want to push my luck.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Congrat's on the low-mileage score! I am the second owner of a 2008 FJ that I purchased in June of 2011. It has the original equipment Panasonic battery in it, and it's still going strong. I have a Schumacher on-board battery tender on it, and I plug it in if I'm going to be gone more than a week. I use battery tenders on all my motorcycles, and my 2006 Softail still has its original battery in it. My '08 FJ has 32K on it, I'm gone for work a lot! You can check out my build in "Freddie gets a makeover."
Happy trails!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've posted previously on this... for the record, my 2008 FJ had the factory Panasonic battery for 12 plus years. I replaced it with an Interstate for $97. As of today, 42,508 miles. I think there are about 4 companies in the US making batteries. Johnson may be the biggest and I searched high and low for Panasonic, too. No luck in the US, or anywhere. ((My 57 Olds has a 14 year old Kirkland (Costco) battery that still fires up its 371CI with a tri-power with ease))

·
Registered
218 Posts
Every Toyota I have purchased so far in the US came with Panasonic and all gave me the best service ever and luckily now here in the Philippines I could source made in Japan Panasonic for my FJ.

·
Registered
15 Posts
100500 miles, 10 years and going seemingly all good. I have to have it's capacity checked pretty soon to know what I am dealing with. Garaged parking probably helps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts