Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to change out one of my original AFR sensors today. I was throwing a few codes and the AFR was the culprit. I figured since the hood was open, I'd also address some other maintenance issues as well. Cleaned my AFE filter, new oil filter, new oil, changed my gear oil and changed my in cabin air filter. As I was working I realized I hadn't changed my plugs in awhile. No problem but I couldn't remember when I last changed them. No biggee, picked up some NGK's and back to the garage I went. I pulled the passenger side 3 plugs and saw they were Denso's. Ok cool. After I removed the first drivers side plug did I realize, I never changed them! The factory NGK plugs were still there! Holy schnikies!

Chastise me all you want but realize, somebody pushed the limit on spark plugs! lol

·
Premium Member
13,655 Posts
How'd they look?

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I pulled mine at 40K...they looked good and the gap was well within the tolerence...I put them back in until 60K then changed them all out...

·
Registered
493 Posts
If i am not mistaken, on the 2010's with the Iridium plugs from the factory,
they call for a 100,000 mile interval.

KyFJGuy

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
If i am not mistaken, on the 2010's with the Iridium plugs from the factory,
they call for a 100,000 mile interval.

KyFJGuy
That's a long interval. I'm not saying you are mistaken, I just wouldn't go that long myself. My 96 4runner would go through plugs at 30k like clock work. FWIW 07-09 plugs need to be changed at 30K to keep your emissions warranty in effect.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The plugs were a bit carboned up and the center electrode was pretty worn. I'll change the new ones out in another 40k just to be on the safe side. I'm pretty damn good with all my other maintenance but the plugs never really come to mind on regular maintenance. My FJ40 on the other hand gets the plugs checked every few months. It's a carb'd trail rig and that Weber I'm running has a habit of running rich.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Wosrt part of leaving them in too long ,if there is no anti sieze on threads is you 're dealing with an aluminum head and the threads on sparkplugs can actually galled up and pull threads from head

·
Registered
43 Posts
Changed mine yesterday ironically. 43k on them. Plugs were not fun to get out. Heads were cold and still not fun to get out. The gap was .059 when its supposed to be.043. Hoping the gas mileage goes back up. Also did oil change and air filter.

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
I'll change the new ones out in another 40k just to be on the safe side.
What do mean 40k "to be safe"? They are spec'd for 30k intervals on your '07.

DEWFPO

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Changed mine yesterday ironically. 43k on them. Plugs were not fun to get out. Heads were cold and still not fun to get out. The gap was .059 when its supposed to be.043. Hoping the gas mileage goes back up. Also did oil change and air filter.
The gaps on mine were wide too when I replaced them, .057-.066. It runs so much better now.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Wosrt part of leaving them in too long ,if there is no anti seize on threads is you 're dealing with an aluminum head and the threads on sparkplugs can actually galled up and pull threads from head
I know first hand about what you're talking about but my problem was due to a cracked head on my bimmer. I had to use 1/2" breaker bar to remove 1 plug! I also used anti-seize on plugs going into aluminum heads after that episode. Here's some info on not using anti-seize on nickel plated spark plugs.:cheers: http://www.ngkplugpro.ca/content/contentfiles/pdf/NGKSP-0907-1R-Anti-SeizeonSparkPlugs.pdf

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Mine was running a little rough at 30K when I changed them and the gaps were widening. I'm surprised they made it that long.

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
Mine was running a little rough at 30K when I changed them and the gaps were widening. I'm surprised they made it that long.
The Denso's seem to hold up much better than the NGK's in this application for some reason.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
145 Posts
one Of the reasons to stick with the exact OEM plugs (Denso) copper for me and change them at 30k intervals is to check on each cylinder. You can get a good indicator of how your individual cylinders are doing. 30k checkups are a nice way to get a reading. Plugs can tell a story, show trends etc.i take a picture of all 6 at once in their engine configuration and keep a history as I go. These plugs have about 60K Miles on them. The dealership changed at 100k. I bought the rig with 162K. I thought the front 2 cylinders looked like oil on threads...nope, just more anti seize was applied Than the others. The camera makes it look a bit more dramatic than it is in normal light.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts