Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just go my 3 inch lift, thought it would be easy, but dang! Took me 3 hrs to do the front, gonna do the back tomorrow. The biggest problem is that you really need two people, and the whole front end needs to be off the ground. You cant do one side at a time, due to the swaybar connections.
When i put the extender on the front struts it was a son of a gun to get them back into the vehicle, they were just too long. I did finally get it , but it wasnt easy.
Am I on track here, did others find the same thing??
Robert

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok update on the rough country lift. I finished the front and the back 3 hrs for the front 2.5 for the back. Here is my advice if you are thinking about this lift. It is a great product nothing wrong with the product. BUT, if you can pay someone else to do it.....then go for it.
It is not that the lift is technically hard to install, it is physically hard to do. You run into rusted bolts, you need two floor jacks, it is just not really with doing, if you can have someone else do it. That goes for the back end too, the front is by far the hardest as you have to jack up the whole front end , in order to move the sway bar out of the way.
The back you can do one side at a time.
I am a pretty fair mechanic, just would rather spend time with the family or doing something else.
Hope this helps someone.
Robert

·
Formerly FJ_Marine
6,237 Posts
Why did you need two floorjacks?

Nothing you have explained so far is anything out of the norm.

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
Ok update on the rough country lift. I finished the front and the back 3 hrs for the front 2.5 for the back. Here is my advice if you are thinking about this lift. It is a great product nothing wrong with the product. BUT, if you can pay someone else to do it.....then go for it.
It is not that the lift is technically hard to install, it is physically hard to do. You run into rusted bolts, you need two floor jacks, it is just not really with doing, if you can have someone else do it. That goes for the back end too, the front is by far the hardest as you have to jack up the whole front end , in order to move the sway bar out of the way.
The back you can do one side at a time.
I am a pretty fair mechanic, just would rather spend time with the family or doing something else.
Hope this helps someone.
Robert

I hear you. My time is worth way more than the hassle. Congrats to those that like to do this stuff and feel the sense of accomplishment; however, I am lazy and take no pride in my accomplishments.

Heed his words if you are lazy. I would only attempt to do your own mods if you have a very motivated friend.

This is coming from someone that worked with a friend to put on a front and rear bumper, an auxiliary fuel tank, a dual battery and a full suspension w/ links.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
wow. not sure what you are doing, but I have done one with another person, if this is the first time I understand. but their instructions are plain on the install. I can also see the extra foot to push down the lower control arm , so you can put the top of the strut into the top and get the bottom bolt in.. where are you loated? :bigthumb:

The rears are a piece of cake imo..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am in Ohio, and yes i do agree that the directions and the equipment were all good. But by the time you fight rusted and stuck bolts, wrestle that strut back in with the extender on it, bust ur knuckles. In my opinion , it is just not worth the hassle. I come to find out ,when I took it to get the front end lined up, that the cam bolt on one side was frozen. Dang! that is is going to take some muscle to un-freeze.
I was just thinking that being an 07, it wouldn't be that frozen and rusted.
Robert

·
Registered
172 Posts
I installed my own as well. After about a week I decided to replace the upper ball joints and tierod ends. I would recommend that anyone installing this lift on a 08 or earlier replace these while you are doing the front. If I had replaced them during my install, I could have saved $85.00 for another alignment LOL! BTW, Has anyone with 33's and this lift noticed how "loose" the front end feels? I checked all my tierods, upper and lower ball joints, and sway bay links but they all see pretty tight. Any suggestions on what I may have to check? Thanks!

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts