Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was leaving the shooting range this AM with my sons and didn't see the telephone pole. Right in the blind spot behind the rear pillar. My own fault, as I was not paying enough attention. I only dented the silver "wing" on the rear right. Looks like I might be able to pop out the dent if I take it off. If so, I am going to paint it with the textured paint I used on my sliders. I was planning on doing this anyway. Anyone removed on of these? If I can't fix it satisfactorily I will want to buy one fom someone who has removed their bumper. I do not want an aftermarket bumper at this time. Any help/suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, after the overwhelming response to this post, I decided to remove the damaged wing and attempt to repair it. I put it under a heat lamp for 20 minutes and the plastic softened up enough to allow me to push out the largest dent. Unfortunately, there was a slight crack on the top corner, but it looks a lot better than it did, and I can live with it until I find another one. While I had the bumper off I installed my factory hitch and painted the wings and center trim piece (above the hitch) with the same Rustoleum Textured black paint I used on my TG sliders. I've gotta say it looks really good. I hope to get to the front bumper and bezel this weekend.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I would be interested in seeing a pic of your newly painted rear bumper. This is a small mod that i've been considering for some time. Did you take off the entire rear bumper to do paint?

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would be interested in seeing a pic of your newly painted rear bumper. This is a small mod that i've been considering for some time. Did you take off the entire rear bumper to do paint?
You have to remove the entire bumper to get the wings off. Easy job, about 20 minutes. I'll post pics later as it's raining now.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Sorry to hear about your little mishap but glad it wasn't anything more serious. Looks like it got you motivated to do a mod you were planning on; a silver lining perhaps? Looking forward to seeing the pics once the rain let's up. It's a gray, rainy day here as well.

-Jade

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, here are the pics.

Left side:

Right side - this is the one that was crunched and then straightened using a heat lamp:

·
Registered
790 Posts
I like the black look, A-lot! Keep us informed on how the black rattle-can paint holds up on the plastic.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
That looks stock!! Very impressive!

·
Registered
57 Posts
wesayso;
Which range were you at?
Your home pic looks alot like Kempsville area, I grew up there.
I now live closer to the beach.

I go to the outdoor range on Marvin Road quite often, though not much the last few weeks. Never seen you there.

Sorry to hear about your bumper.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wesayso;
Which range were you at?
Your home pic looks alot like Kempsville area, I grew up there.
I now live closer to the beach.

I go to the outdoor range on Marvin Road quite often, though not much the last few weeks. Never seen you there.

Sorry to hear about your bumper.
We were at a range in Hampton - Superior Pawn Shop, they have an inddor range.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I definately like the black ....... but would like to know how the paint holds up as well as exactly what kind of paint you used. Also, I have the TRD SE and Im not sure if black on black on black would look too good. I guess Id have to do the mirrors then too and thats way above my pay grade.

Looks good though!!!!
I guess there are some good points to the plastic vehicles being produced these days.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Doesn't even look like you hit anything! :)
Thanks, but if you look real close you can see a crack on the top edge (corner), and see a slight depression forward of the crack.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bump, still looking for bumper wings.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts