Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be in Ouray on Friday and Saturday, July 6 - 7th. I know it’s a couple weeks before the summit but I”m going to be in the area. It would be great to get together with some of you if you’re in the area.

If you your not going to be in the area do you have recommendations? I went to the summit last year and had a great time and met some awesome people.

Let me know if you will be there the 6th or 7th or if you have recommendations. I guess I could go to any trail head and wait for someone to come by and ask to join them - is that acceptable?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
From the sounds of it you may go to a trail head and have Law Enforcement come by and take you to there Hotel and even give you the bill for it to the Tune of at least 5,000 . Then you will get to have a nice talk with a Federal Judge about why you were there . I think you should check the Conditions before you head out .

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,501 Posts
From the sounds of it you may go to a trail head and have Law Enforcement come by and take you to there Hotel and even give you the bill for it to the Tune of at least 5,000 . Then you will get to have a nice talk with a Federal Judge about why you were there . I think you should check the Conditions before you head out .
Not judging but wat the hell are you talking about??

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
It sounds as if they have closed the Forest due to a fire

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts
Last report I saw said 13 miles north of there.

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,501 Posts
Yea I received the email from the summit last night about the possible closure of the San Juan national forest and the highway between Durango and Silverton is closed but everything north of there is good for now.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Yea I received the email from the summit last night about the possible closure of the San Juan national forest and the highway between Durango and Silverton is closed but everything north of there is good for now.
Keep an eye on the San Juan National Forest webpage. Yesterday it was being reported that the entire 1.8M acres of SJNF was going to be closed, which puts most of the roads/trails planned for the Summit off limits. Just this morning have they now published the closure map that brings the stage 3 fire restrictions close to Silverton. By my reading of the closure map it appears that Ophir Pass and Pophyry Gulch would be affected (e.g. closed).

https://www.fs.usda.gov/sanjuan

My guess is that Kara Chadwick got so much immediate feedback from Ouray, Telluride and Silverton officials that she decided NOT to close the entire 1.8M acres of SJNF as she herself was quoted yesterday as saying had to be done and would be done Tuesday (today).

Ouray is within Uncompahgre National Forest (Mountain Division) which is just north of San Juan National Forest. Here is their website:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/gmug

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Back on topic...

I want to get up there soon. Not doing the Summit. I normally would be camping NW of Durango about now with my dog. But it may get a bit smoky at times.

So maybe a drive up there if highway 550 opens. Otherwise it’s a long drive to Cortez, then Telluride and over to Ridgeway.

I once got to Florida and it was closed. Classic movie.

·
Registered
903 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts