Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I missed out on the Crusier Summit but thought this would be the best place to post this question.

I have a stock 2012 FJ. I'm heading up to Ouray the week after Labor Day. If you had only one day to run one of the trails, which trail would you suggest? I'm looking for the most bang for the buck in scenery so to speak. It will be just the wife and I so I'm not looking for lots of technical four wheeling.

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Imogene

Sent from my ADR6400L using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
210 Posts
Agreed. Imogene is one of my favorites. Great views and photo ops, a few water crossings but nothing really technical. Have fun!

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Yep. Imogene. It's always been our favorite for exactly the reasons you listed.
I don't want to go overboard with saying how easy it is, but we've seen 2WD vehicles pull it off if that helps any - i.e. the FJC is way over-qualified, and you won't have any sort of 'off-roading' challenges unless you go off a bit and try some of the available optional obstacles.

That said, there are a few short sections with some moderately sharp, loose rocks where it's a good idea to take it a little slower, and the tires should be fine, even if you still just have the stock ones.

I suggest that you air down to around 20 PSI. It's not 'necessary', but if you haven't done it before, you both will enjoy it a bit more (little more cushy ride over the bumpy stuff....not that it's really bad at all, but you know, it's a bumpy dirt road).

Oh ya....when you get home, don't hate your camera; it's not its fault that it's almost impossible to capture the fullness of how crazy beautiful it is up there :lol:

Enjoy your time up here in Paradise, and have a safe trip. :cheers:

p.s. There's a major construction project going on right now on highway 550, just south of Ouray on Red Mountain Pass. For the most part, it's just a small delay when you go through there. During Summit week, they completely closed it off over-night once, though. So, check the COTrip website here to make sure you're good to go.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Run Black Bear to Telluride for a nice lunch then Imogene back to Ouray. Cant beat it!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Gotta go with Imogene also if you can only do 1 run.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
...and if you have just a little more time, just go straight on up Yankee Boy, first, turn around, go back to the entrance to Imogene, cross the creek and then do Imogene. Yankee Boy is a very pleasent ride and it won't take you that much more time. They both start at the same place. Check it out!!:cheers:
Jax':wave:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts