Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sounds and looks like such a great time at the Summit. Currently looking for FJ but have a question.

While I would do certain mods...such as skids/rock slider/etc...I do not plan on any lift.

Question...what portion of Ouray trails are driveable w/o a lift...and by relative beginners? Kind of like mountain "tourists" in an FJ?

Ouray looks like such a good time that I can imagine a week to 10 days in Colorado each year timed around Summit...any comments/advice would be appreciated...Thanks...Tom T

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just got back. Almost all of the trails can be done stock. I would stay away from Poukepsie as a beginner driver. I would also recommend some experience before Black Bear as well.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another question?...is Summit limited to FJs? I currently have an '04 Land Cruiser...and if I don't add an FJ...do you "let in" Land Cruisers??

Thanks...Tom R

·
Registered
936 Posts
Just back from summit also and ran Black Bear, Imogene, Cali-corkscrew in a stock hieght FJ, you will rub in some places on BB and Imogene, shouild have no issues on Cali-Cork. Ran Engineer last year and scraped in a couple of places also. I did air down which lost me a little ground clearance also. If you are going to run it with no lift full skids and rocks rails would be adviseable.

·
Registered
456 Posts
You can run just about everything up there stock. I ran Clai and Corkscrew, Alpine loop, and Black Bear last year stock. I also ran Poughkeepsie on Saturday (still stock) and I needed a rope to make it over the last ledge.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Except for rock rails mine is stock. This was my fourth consecutive year. I have run Black Bear, Imogene, Alpine Loop, and Corkscrew every year. I stay a couple days longer than the official Summit and run extra trails on my own.

There are places you need to carefully pick your line to ensure that you have clearance. You will hear a rare touch on a protruding rock scratch one of your slid plates, but nothing the FJ wasn't designed for. If you are in doubt about your line, just ask the leader or person in front to spot you over a trail section in question. Each trail takes a couple hours, but is only 12-16 miles in length. This mean you drive at crawl speeds to negotiate the tough sections of trail.

What are the primary benefits for going to the Summit? An excellent confidence builder in driving four wheel trails, seeing awesome scenery, being dazzled by the vibrant colors of the wild flowers, meeting wonderful people driving FJ Cruisers, seeing the effort others have made to personalize their FJ Cruisers, visiting the vendor / sponsors who are enthusiastic and extremely knowledgeable about your vehicle, and just the overall feeling you have of being in the San Juan Mountains.

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
A-Trac helps a LOT. Especially in wet conditions like this year's Summit. The lift is not nearly as important as A-Trac and better-than-stock tires for traction issues.

I had a stock FJ behind me on a run up Poughkeepsie on Thursday and he needed to be recovered once because of stock tires and traction in the wet conditions -- and WIKID winched him over The Wall -- but we all needed to be winched over the wall, even with front lockers, because of the wet weather.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts