Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello FJers,
New to this community and looking to pick up my first FJ.
Problem is CA is far too expensive.
Looking to buy in other states.
How many have purchased their vehicles out of state, what procedures did you do? Hire an inspection service then go off his advice? How to deal with negotiation?
It'll cost me about $1500 to ship from the east coast to CA.
About the price of Gas ($5 in CA per gallon)

ANY help is appreciated!
What to look out for
What to look for.

I know rust is a big issue, had some dealerships refuse to send me images. Scratch them off!!

Thanks
Stephen

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I bought my 07 MT out of state. I live in New England and I bought the FJ in North Carolina from a dealer last October. Took a while to find a good one but it worked out well. The salesman sent me multiple photos inside and out. I also had it transported for about 500$. I don't think they really knew what they had because it has the ARB bull bumper and the rear window mod which I can open it from the front seat. Anyway--that's my experience. Bert

·
Registered
2012 Trail Teams Radiant Red
51 Posts
Give Kevin @RedRockMotors a shout... He's in Salt Lake City. FJ's are his specialty - especially Trail Teams but can more than likely get whatever you are looking for. Only sells clean, well kept vehicles and is very knowledgeable about everything FJ. Can't say enough after my purchase with him. I live in Nashville (he arranged shipping) and it was the smoothest, easiest, and most importantly, transparent car buying experience I have ever had.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hello FJers,
New to this community and looking to pick up my first FJ.
Problem is CA is far too expensive.
Looking to buy in other states.
How many have purchased their vehicles out of state, what procedures did you do? Hire an inspection service then go off his advice? How to deal with negotiation?
It'll cost me about $1500 to ship from the east coast to CA.
About the price of Gas ($5 in CA per gallon)

ANY help is appreciated!
What to look out for
What to look for.

I know rust is a big issue, had some dealerships refuse to send me images. Scratch them off!!

Thanks
Stephen
Better look up the CA DMV rules for an out of state purchase. If you find one that is CA smog certified it is not too big of a problem. But if you are a resident of CA and want to bring a non CA smog certified vehicle you might not be able to get it registered

·
Vendor
195 Posts
Give Kevin @RedRockMotors a shout... He's in Salt Lake City. FJ's are his specialty - especially Trail Teams but can more than likely get whatever you are looking for. Only sells clean, well kept vehicles and is very knowledgeable about everything FJ. Can't say enough after my purchase with him. I live in Nashville (he arranged shipping) and it was the smoothest, easiest, and most importantly, transparent car buying experience I have ever had.
Thanks, @Girl Dad #outnumbered

·
Vendor
195 Posts
@Snubnosed FJ Most of my customers are from out of state. Here is a quick list of tips that I'd recommend to anyone purchasing out of state:
1. Check carfax-not perfect, but will generally catch major accidents and also show you where the car has lived. If it has ever lived in a "rust state" get proof that it is in good shape underneath. Undercarriage pics and engine pics will help you make a determination. Rust is a big deal on these. Any car from Southen states, or Southwest will be fine.
2. Get a Toyota pre-purchase inspection. It'll cost you $150 or so, but cheap insurance to pay toyota to go through it for an objective opinion. Any good dealership (or private seller) will be willing to do this for you and if not, move on. (We do this on all our FJs as standard procedure).
3. Have seller do a walkthrough video for you and ask them to point out all the flaws on the car. Every FJ will have something that is an imperfection, you just want to know what they are. Make sure to check the roof as well. It is not uncommon for things to fall off rack and put dents in roof. Generally pretty easy to fix, but again, good to know. Make sure to check for windshield cracks as FJ windshields can be pricey.
4. When you find one you like, if it is a private seller, have them show you a picture of the title, driver's license and vin tag so that you can make sure they all match.
5. Registering in CA-won't be a problem. All FJs are CARB compliant (unless they have had smog equipment deleted) and will register easily. Pay you tax and reg fees at DMV or AAA after CA inspection and you are good to go.

Call me if you have any questions and we have a couple nice FJs in stock (with more coming). Always happy to help if we can. 435-200-3303.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since FJ's are really cool
Why would a vehicle with 140k have 5 owners?
Like what is wrong with these people?

Why would there be so many in so few miles?

·
Vendor
195 Posts
Since FJ's are really cool
Why would a vehicle with 140k have 5 owners?
Like what is wrong with these people?

Why would there be so many in so few miles?
I can't answer that specifically, but generally, FJs do tend to have 2-4 owners. I probably buy most of my cars from people who have new "life situation" (now have kids, getting older and hard to get in/out, new job and the long commute is not great with gas mileage, etc). FJs are so durable and mechanically solid that they are rarely sold, if ever, due to "problems" (in my opinion).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts