Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
The only problem I see with that for me anyway is that buying oil one qt. at a time is a lot more expencive than buying the 5 qt bottles I usually buy :)

·
Registered
664 Posts
Great question. Out the box. Most likely would be fine. They all meet certain standards but have different additive packages. Would not have to go to the extreme of using so many, easier to get by with a couple of brands because like Sanderhawk says it would get costly.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Protection should be viewed as a package or recipe. The right ingredients mixed in the proper proportions. Let’s say if done right you get a biscuit. Another recipe will give you a pancake. Both are food and both are delicious. Now take a bit of one and a bit of the other and you get biscake. It is food but as a package is sucks. You have not created a better recipe.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
That food beast stacked cronut stuff is novelty :lol:. Sorry, but consistency is key in my opinion. Agree with @ssls6 and you're no chef. While it might not harm your motor, ie. I'm sure there's times you had to mix oils on the road because it's an emergency, no problems arise but oil additives and properties are built to be consistent in a package. Now if you mix and match within the same brand/type of oils, you can achieve different viscosity ranges and technically mix up a batch that isn't "off the shelf". It's what many race teams do to acquire an advantage for number of reasons. Maybe they want more protection but not quite fully thick oil as it breaks down and viscosity thins in races, etc. But trying to gain advantage with 6 different quarts, I don't see much. If you try it, try taking an oil sample to analyze (amsoil, lube engineers, blackstone) to confirm it's doing anything but making your shopping list longer than necessary.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
33,762 Posts
What if all the different additives don't play well together and you end up with a solid mass of sludge or something from a chemical reaction when the engine gets hot? I'm not willing to risk that.

·
Registered
283 Posts
What if all the different additives don't play well together and you end up with a solid mass of sludge or something from a chemical reaction when the engine gets hot? I'm not willing to risk that.
Yeah, I guess that's a possibility. Who are you going to sue if that happens?

I really have no idea, but I doubt there would be much mechanical, or chemical, problem doing this but it's hard to imagine any real advantage over choosing one brand of quality synthetic oil. Maybe there aren't any downsides, but downsides are all I can imagine.

TT

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I've heard my whole life that it's ok to switch brands during a full oil change... BUT like @BIGGUY theorized some oils don't mix and turn acidic which will wear on internal metals.

Sometimes I stay in the box where things work and it's warm and cozy...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts