Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
Great report and pics Nick. Too bad you had so little time though. Why all the crowds? When we've been down there, the San Felipe water front has always been deserted. Mulege is our favorite town. And we've always wondered about Fong's in San Ignacio. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Great report and pics Nick. Too bad you had so little time though. Why all the crowds? When we've been down there, the San Felipe water front has always been deserted. Mulege is our favorite town. And we've always wondered about Fong's in San Ignacio. Thanks again.
I was told because of it being Easter week.

Fongs was...different. :) :lol:

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So after leaving San Ignacio, we headed for a gas stop on Vizcaino. (yeah, we heard the rumors of a cartel murder here least year, but again, no issues) PEMEX was great. Had one of the cutest girls I had seen the whole trip pumping gas and washing the windows. Handed off a 50 peso tip and away we went. We were looking for the start of a couple hundred miles of dirt road and the town of El Arco. We had to pass through another military checkpoint before this happened though. I don't have any horror story. In fact, the Sgt in charge was about my age, spoke great English and even shook my hand after they had a look in the camper.

(Used my gas from the top tank before finally hitting Bay of LA on this leg)

Start of the road to El Arco:

The terrain changed here for sure! THIS is Baja!

In El Arco, there is a pristine but empty military camp: (Next to it is the old camp that looks like another ghost town story)
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1515/25957544662_92f8efe319_b.jpg

In El Arco we took the side trip out to Misión Santa Gertrudis (1752-1822). Plan on about two extra hours to do this side trip if you must.

The mision sits on a palm oasis.

As we left, a horned demon blocked the road. Well, just kidding. It was a side of hamburger, but wanted to add some drama to the story.

We spotted some leftover mining equipment back in El Arco on the way out

And we finally found Pozo Aleman! This was the crown jewel for me. And look, unlike in the US, no bullet holes, no graffiti, and no garbage:

More to come!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Question for you. Do you think I would have any trouble hauling our Bushranger trailer into any of the spots you visited? I'd love to own one of their off-road versions but this is what we have for now. I do have a spare and plan to have a compressor along in case I need to air tires down, and I'll carry 5-gal of extra fuel (as well as water).

Attachments

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Over 100 miles and some of the most fun road I have been on in a long time, we found our little beach spot. Sammie had wanted to camp on a secluded beach since the first night we arrived in Baja. Well, we found it!

Complete with bones in the sand!

On either side of our camp, there were abalone shells by the hundreds. I am going to guess an ancient camp?

The view from atop a little knoll behind the camper:

The Boss Lady enjoying marshmallows by the fire as a fiery moon came up over the ocean:

Embracing my pirate heritage:

Enjoyed yet another breathtaking sunrise in Baja:

After brewing up a pot of Kona, we headed for the Bay of LA:

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
You covered much of the same stuff we did in January but in the reverse durection, at least the long dirt loop thru El Arco to BOLA. Great photos and report.

I wondered to why you were finding such crowds. Good to explain the reason or it could scare folks off. Although every trip I find Baja a little more busy.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Question for you. Do you think I would have any trouble hauling our Bushranger trailer into any of the spots you visited? I'd love to own one of their off-road versions but this is what we have for now. I do have a spare and plan to have a compressor along in case I need to air tires down, and I'll carry 5-gal of extra fuel (as well as water).
I don't see that being an issue. I'd suggest 10 gallons of gas though. :)

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Great thread Nick, thanks for sharing. My trip down Baja way got delayed until this coming October. A trio of FJ's will be heading down. Can't wait.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts