Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yes, I just went out to the garage and checked. Never thought about that. I never use the back window. It will still open and close normally with about 1/2" clearance.
Thanks for checking this FB! :) Even if it did'nt open; I am still going to do this; I was just curious.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for checking this FB! :) Even if it did'nt open; I am still going to do this; I was just curious.
No Problem. Hey, this was my 300 th post. Wahoooo. I'm officially a veteran.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
really looks great, i was convinced on getting KM2's until I saw your ride....
I was debating on getting a mud tire as well. But from what I read I should be able to get a little better life out of these. Also figured there would be less chance of rubbing.

·
Registered
310 Posts
That is a fine looking ride. I was leaning toward the same tire in 265 instead of 285 because of the need for a lift and the decrease in MPGs. After seeing your pics (thanks for posting!) I am back to plotting for the 285s.

I'd sure like to see how your mileage changes with these new treads. I understand that we can't put a price on satisfaction, but it would be good to get the facts. One person posted that he estimated a 3 MPG drop with MTs. I know there are a lot of variables when measuring mileage, but if you could give a best guess it would help with my decision-making dilemma.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
That is a fine looking ride. I was leaning toward the same tire in 265 instead of 285 because of the need for a lift and the decrease in MPGs. After seeing your pics (thanks for posting!) I am back to plotting for the 285s.

I'd sure like to see how your mileage changes with these new treads. I understand that we can't put a price on satisfaction, but it would be good to get the facts. One person posted that he estimated a 3 MPG drop with MTs. I know there are a lot of variables when measuring mileage, but if you could give a best guess it would help with my decision-making dilemma.:cheers:
I'll try to keep my eye on it. Just filled up the afternoon I got the tires. Probably will be sometime this weekend before the old gas light comes on. I hope.:) I have not paid too much attention to the mileage I got before this only because I drive highway some days and through the city other days, I get bored going the same way to work all the time. The great part is with the 3" lift and the 285's it still fits in the garage! Barely.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Your pics went to work on my subconscious and today I found myself in the local off road shop checking cost for a light OME lift kit, installed. Quote was $1,100. BFG TA KOs quoted at $229 ea plus $20 mount and balance. I can save a few bucks by getting tires from the local Big O shop and they can also do the front end alignment and they have the high end balancer that, if I understand it correctly, the FJ needs.

So, as near as I can estimate, your posting of those awesome pictures is going to cost me around $2,300. :shrug03:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Your pics went to work on my subconscious and today I found myself in the local off road shop checking cost for a light OME lift kit, installed. Quote was $1,100. BFG TA KOs quoted at $229 ea plus $20 mount and balance. I can save a few bucks by getting tires from the local Big O shop and they can also do the front end alignment and they have the high end balancer that, if I understand it correctly, the FJ needs.

So, as near as I can estimate, your posting of those awesome pictures is going to cost me around $2,300. :shrug03:
Just doing my part to help stimulate the economy.:) As far as mileage goes from your previous question still watching. Only driven about 170 miles so far on this tank. I still got a good bit of fuel left. I usually get to about 270 to 280 miles before the gas light comes on. Hopefully I will get close to that. I usually fill up as soon as the gas light comes on. When I have to get gas next I will post up my mileage for that tank.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just doing my part to help stimulate the economy.:) As far as mileage goes from your previous question still watching. Only driven about 170 miles so far on this tank. I still got a good bit of fuel left. I usually get to about 270 to 280 miles before the gas light comes on. Hopefully I will get close to that. I usually fill up as soon as the gas light comes on. When I have to get gas next I will post up my mileage for that tank.
Thanks bro!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

On my first tank I calculated 17.55 mpg. Not too bad. The place I bought the tires aired them up pretty hard at 55 psi cold. If I end up running them a little lower I might loose some but no much. Using the GPS the speedo was off by about .5 to 1 mph. This may throw the calculation off slightly, but with 17.5 mpg I can still sleep at night. I am about to add a full set of Bud Built skids which will through some additional weight in the mix but running the stock bumpers I would think this small amount of additional weight wont change things much.

·
Registered
54 Posts
flying brick..Fj looks like I want mine to look!!!..Quick question, the BFG's...are they load rated "E"...I believe those tires come with 2 options for plys...Thanks..New tires this weekend, Found out they ordered 6 ply, I want 10 ply...:)

·
Registered
54 Posts
thanks..Real curious, cuz my tire shop ordered 6ply("c"?) and I didnt specify, but know from the forum that I want 10 ply="E".....Your tire may say 113, or112 on it( I think)..gonna check web right now...:)

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
thanks..Real curious, cuz my tire shop ordered 6ply("c"?) and I didnt specify, but know from the forum that I want 10 ply="E".....Your tire may say 113, or112 on it( I think)..gonna check web right now...:)
Now you got me thinking. Too bad the FJ is not here right now to check. It will be soon. I was too busy thinking about the sidewall ply. I really didn't think to check the load rating when I had them put on. I know the max psi is 65. I dont' pull any trailer of any kind, but I can see were you might want more ply for off-road use.

·
Registered
54 Posts
FB, looked into sidewall ply..Acc. to tirerack, BFG AT's come with 2 options ..load "C"= 6 ply., load "E" = 10 ply....E's are a bit more costly to..around 190/tire...versus 170/tire...I want to go to my shop with proper info..Let me(us) know what ply you ended up with..may make for helpful knowledge for more of us down the line...and possibly have you questioning your shop for their recommendations too!!!:browsmiley:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Ok, I have the info. I checked the tire. They are rated D. Did not see anything on the sidewall about the total ply other than it has 3 ply trigard sidwalls. I looked up the D rated BFG in this size on line and it said it was an 8 ply. I think this is going to plenty enough tire for my use. Thanks for bringing that up. I had thought I covered all the bases when I bought them. Now I can rest easy. I looked up the D rating on this site. I did not buy them from this site. I bought them locally.

https://www.tiresavings.com/tireShop.php?action=findCombined

21 - 39 of 39 Posts