Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I've researched both online and throughout the forum threads here for overhead console options, and although there are a couple out there, I've only really liked the Outback option. Problem is, I've got a 2008 TTE and the Outback console is made for the 2010+ FJs. Yes, there are a few photos floating around that show the console installed in an '07 and an '08, but there really isn't a lot of material available for those of us with "Old School" 2007-2009s. MattM has put together a real nice thread walking through the entire process of his Outback console install for his 2012 TT, and I thought it might be helpful to the "Old School" group members who might be considering the ARB option.

Let's just hope this doesn't suck, eh?

Parts received and ready to work:

1. Uniden Bearcat PC787 CB Radio, installation hardware, and mic holder
  2. Outback Roof Console, packaged with the following parts:
    [*]Rear bracket (designed to attach to 2010+ dome light bracket)... think I'll attempt to modify this to mount the console to the roof from within the console so that it is hidden from view, sure is ugly.
    [*]Forward bracket
    [*]Bag containing fasteners & decorative 'button' covers
    [*]Foam pads to level out the various radio body styles
    [*]Console wiring extension
    [*]Console extra power wire
    [*]Pull wires for the extra power wire (instructions say these are attached to the green power wires, but mine were just balled up with the green wire)
    [*]Bag containing mic cable holder & rear mounting hole cover, with associated fasteners​
Ok, time to get to it... stay tuned.

·
Registered
179 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Did this ever happen? slowly but surely going to do this same thing... by that i mean i have the pieces and it appears i might have the time tomorrow to fumble my way through this situation which i may end up hiring a mobile automotive electrician to wire up for me if somehow i manage to get everything in looking pretty...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah, also interested to know if this worked out. I am considering getting this, but don't want to dump $300 and time into something that won't work.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah, also interested to know if this worked out. I am considering getting this, but don't want to dump $300 and time into something that won't work.
got it done a while ago. Took few days but made it happen. Didn't bother trying to hide the front bracket and the lights on the overhead are all or nothing and that's good enough for me. Ran the bandi antenna mount over the headliner and through the rear door. Modified the console to hold the bearcat with a dremel and some 3M VHB double sided foam tape. Works great.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nicely done.
So how did you fix the back end without the ugly bracket?

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Nice job! Any thought given to replacing console bulbs with LED's for all 4? If so, exactly, what bulbs did you use?

Thanks for any info and you may have inspired me to finally one done for mine!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nice job! Any thought given to replacing console bulbs with LED's for all 4? If so, exactly, what bulbs did you use?

Thanks for any info and you may have inspired me to finally one done for mine!
the overhead console bulbs are LED came in it standard and the Dome Light was replaced with Diode Dynamics 94 Lumen LED Dome Light. From the invoice: LEDs for 2007-2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser) SKU: DD0077S) Color: Cool White) Bulb Model: SMF6 (94 lumens) I also ordered the board: SKU: DD0150S)
Color: Cool White) Bulb Model: SMD12 Board (118 lumens) and put that in the rear cargo area, the board is closer in lumens to the overhead LEDs all of which really light everything up.
when you get it done post it up on here, ha its gonna be a good time.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Reviving this to get some info. I installed mine tonight, same radio.
What’s up with the “outback” rubber cover. That little compartment looks as though a few more bolts should be installed in it, but there’s nothing there to bolt to. Is that necessary, or do the front and rear brackets do it all?

really is crazy how horrible the instructions are on such an expensive mod.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts