Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fj didnt come with the outlet in the back (im to cheap) but I want to add it now and wanted to know if anyone knew the part number or had a aftermarket solution to adding a plug. I'll probably be adding one up front also.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I believe he is talking about the inverter and the associated 120V double prong outlet

·
Registered
28 Posts
I recall hearing (from multiple sources) that the cost of the inverter is way expensive. You could buy several other decent inverters for the same price. I resolved to simply install a 12v outlet there and choose my own inverter. If you do this, make sure you use a decent gauge wire to allow for the wattage you need. (i.e. 14ga will support a little over 100w).

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
unfortunatly rover that wasnt was I was looking for. I dont have the technical skill of that man to disasemble an inverter and such and was hoping for a more plug and play type. Since most of the wiring is already done in the vehicle, I was hoping that it would be the same for the inverter and be able to just replace plastic cover with the stock outlet.

So back to my original question, does anyone know where/how to get the original invert (part #) and not how to disasemble the an inverter box and wire your fj.

·
Registered
514 Posts
unfortunatly rover that wasnt was I was looking for. I dont have the technical skill of that man to disasemble an inverter and such and was hoping for a more plug and play type. Since most of the wiring is already done in the vehicle, I was hoping that it would be the same for the inverter and be able to just replace plastic cover with the stock outlet.

So back to my original question, does anyone know where/how to get the original invert (part #) and not how to disasemble the an inverter box and wire your fj.
hello, hey i hate to burst your bubble but the wiring is not in your Fj if it didnt come with it. i know i had the same idea untill i bought all the pieces, inverter, outlet, dash switch, ect. and took it apart. nope no wiring. after many conversations with the guys at sparks toyota it was confirmed that the wiring harness has to be changed. there has to be 2 harnesses, they found the one that goes from the dash, switch location, to the inverter. but couldn't come up with the harness that runs under the body up to the engine compartment. i have the part # for the harness they found, if you want it pm me and i'l send it to you if i remember it was around $325 bucks. also if your interested in the inverter and switch i'll sell it to you for what i got in it. i'm going to put in an aftermarket inverter wired to the factory outlet, i just wont have a switch, oh well.

scotty

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
now thats good info.

Seems like my search has found a dead end and the only way to hook one up is to get it wired separately.

325 seems quite high for just the harness. I'll shoot you a pm about the rest if you dont want to post it up.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
easelman, if you don't mind running some wires you can look into aftermarket inverters. Installation should be straightforward. Costco has a nice 1000W unit (factory is 400w) for $64. You can simply run an extension cord into the back.

Sorry, I can't help you with "stock" inverter.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
What I would like to do is take the plugs out and mount them somwhere and hide the large part of the unit under a seat or in the back somewhere. Do you know if this is possible?

I think this might be the only option left without breaking the bank. Wiring will be the hard part for me :mecry: but you have to learn sometime

Ok ordered an inverter and ill see what I can do with it (take off the cover etc).. for 70 bucks its not to bad

·
Registered
43 Posts
I ordered the stock outlet $25, the connector $5, wires to fit in the connector $15, and a 16 gauge 9' power tool repair wire from Home Depot $6. I installed the outlet and ran the wire to a cobra 1500 watt power inverter that I mounted under the passenger seat. I then simply plugged it into the inverter. I do not recommended plugging in something that will draw that much power into this outlet. It is better to plug directly into the inverter for items that draw more power. The cobra inverter is very nice. It is 1500 watts w/3 outlets, meter, and a plug for a remote power switch. I got the inverter from Amazon for $107. I believe the Model is CPI1550. I ordered all the Toyota parts from Sparks except the wire for the connector. I got those from the local steelership.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
What I would like to do is take the plugs out and mount them somwhere and hide the large part of the unit under a seat or in the back somewhere. Do you know if this is possible?

I think this might be the only option left without breaking the bank. Wiring will be the hard part for me :mecry: but you have to learn sometime

Ok ordered an inverter and ill see what I can do with it (take off the cover etc).. for 70 bucks its not to bad
Under the seat is a good place for it. If you do ford deep waters, I would consider somewhere else though. Document your install for us to see? I'll be going down the same route in the future.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Here are the part numbers you will need.
8553035060B0 $25.72 SOCKET ASSY, POWER O
90980-10797 $4.70 Electrical connector
82998-12200 $4.24 (3) = $12.72 Terminal repair

This is the outlet, connector and wires to make your own pigtail.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts