Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 FJ and for the last year or so, when I reach 50mph up to about 70 I hear a noise that sounds like a screachy rattle coming from the outside below the airvents at the base of the windshield. To me it sounds like a speedometer cable going bad, but I don't know if this vehicle even has a speedo cable. I don't think so. The other strange thing is that it isn't always there. It shows up for a while and then goes away. Any thoughts?
ShuswapYeti

·
Registered
977 Posts
It's usually the top molding or panel of the windshield that wasn't securely fastened/put on. Mine does it from time to time when the speed is over 50 mph and the wind catches it just right.

·
A-Team Moderator
10,296 Posts
The rubber trim on the bottom of the windshield reveal (header) molding. Mine was missing and it did the same. 50-70 mph, louder with a cross wind. Glass shop replaced it.

·
Registered
2013 Trail Teams
25 Posts
I have a 2013 Trail Team with similar issues. The sound appears to be wind related so I went the same speed but ducked in behind a (Semi) tractor trailer and the sound stopped. I think I will put some painters tape around the front window trim and see what happens.
<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><

·
Registered
2013 Trail Teams
25 Posts
I think I may have found a chink in the armor. Around the bottom of the front window is rubber weatherstripping. There’s a small gap that goes under the weatherstripping on the right and left side and it appears at high-speed this weatherstripping may start vibrating and causing the noise. I put some painters tape across the area and it seem to have stopped the noise. There’s a gap on the right and left side the noise on my vehicle happened only on the driver side. I’ll add a small amount of glue in that area and see what happens. BTW I have a 2013 TT

·
Registered
2013 FJ Cruiser #885/2500
10 Posts
I too have been having this issue, it almost sounds like a loud farting sound. (50-85mph, and at lower speeds when really windy out.
It’s been hard for me to figure out the cause because I had a new stereo, front grille, front headlights, and front facing camera all installed at the same time.
Before seeing this post I thought it was the grille or headlights but now I’m going to check the spots you showed here.
Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts