Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well this is what I ended up with. I did the best I could. I wanted a center unit that would split the driver side & pass. side, but dropping the headliner was more than I wanted to get into for now. I removed the viser & used the mounting point for this idea. It's only the first test unit & I'm going to Rausch Creek next weekend to see if it will hold up off road. I would like comments good & bad, I trust what feedback I get from this forum. May get ideas from feed back to improve this design. All comments welcome/ but remember it's only a proto-type, so go easy on me.Let me know what you guy's think...Sorry the pic.'s are blurry I'll try for some better ones in the morning...OK, much better pic.'s
J/Picture097.jpg[/IMG]/nn215/MAXXFJ/Picture096.jpg[/IMG]

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
I hope everything is securely mounted, or you could end up with a hell of a headache.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it's solid, I'll find out in the morning. I'm hitting a local trail & it's kind of rough- lots of rocks & R C next week as well.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I added some better pictures this morning. I guess the cam. could not focus at nite. Let know if you think it looks OK or not. Still working on the brackets, I'm having a guy make them out of 1/4" Alum.. But for now those will be fine.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Hmmm... I like it too. I never use my visors either. My thought would be to take that mounting system and fabricate a fiberglass housing for it, painting it and making it look almost like a factory console. I never thought to use the mounting system for the visor - that's the key piece here. Very cool idea.

Two paws up for MAXXFJ - Now my mind is racing with ideas. :bigthumb:

Howls,
FJ Wolf

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The traffic light thing is not too bad, tough in the FJ anyway,but this does not hamper it too much more.I do need to make up some kind of part to go from the rear to the roof,(you can see the cb & scanner from outside). Maybe a tint strip on the windshield. I PM'd FJTeddy, he's got a buddy that works with carbon fiber, maybe a one piece unit will be better. Thanks for the feedback, good& bad, always looking for a way to improve ideas....More to come, ??? Sorry, I PM'd FJTeddy in error, ment to PM ToledoFJ, he knows the CF guy. Sorry FJTeddy, must be the FJ's & T's in the names + Keystone light's.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Try using some sort of colored plastic on the rear of the shelf? For added strength on the console itself, could you use some sort of bracing around the console like a frame? Might keep it from bowing or flexing too much.

As for the backside of the console, I had the same problem when I mounted my CB over the center mirror, all I did was 'paint' the shiny part with a Sharpie. It's not even noticeable after doing that.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
You did a great job. How did it hold up on the trail?

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Very creative, I like it!

Only I would do it to the passenger side visor, just to keep my vision area clear, and I typically don't have a passenger when wheeling. I could still reach the radio and other equipment fine from the driver's side.

Sure beats tearing up the headliner...

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Great start! I've been thinking of developing an overhead storage unit myself. There was one made for the FJ 40 that went all the way across the vehicle.

I'd also mount the visors to the shelf unit. My suggestions would be to make it as light, yet sturdy as you can. Perhaps even by drilling holes in it. Also, it could be covered with headliner material to make it blend in and look factory.

J.C. Whitney and other auto stores sell similar units for full size pickups.

If you get one finished that works, I'll be in line to buy!

Good luck! We're pulling for you!

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I'm working on 3 different types, all total Alum. units. A single for the driver's side, A single for the Pass. side, And one that will go all the way across. Yes, it did hold up very well on the trail, no problems at all, (and this is just a piece of crap wood proto-type). The real test will be Raush Creek this comming weekend. They do make something like this for full size trucks in JC witney. I'm not waiting around for them to make them for the FJ. w5wi, when I get the Alum. unit done I'll ship one out to you, On me.Glad you like it. I'll be in touch......

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Looks pretty cool, I like the idea.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
908 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, I guess someone has done "something like this" before. 1: I'm posting picture's of my overhead console to see if it gets the approval of the people of this forum. 2: Never said it was an my original idea, in fact I stated in the first post that I had a "Shelf-it" in an old blazer or bronco & could not find anything for the FJ. 3: It's not like I'm going to mass produce & start selling them, (although that would be cool, not like I couldn't use the $$). I'm just proud of the fact I made something that work's for me, & with any luck it will make it through Rausch Creek on Saturday.

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
...They do make something like this for full size trucks in JC witney. I'm not waiting around for them to make them for the FJ. w5wi, when I get the Alum. unit done I'll ship one out to you, On me.Glad you like it. I'll be in touch......
Thanks, Yeah, waiting on JC Whitney or any other source won't work! I appreciate your efforts and let me know and I'll gladly pay for one!

cheers,

dale

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.