Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a portable GPS and Scangauge today. Want to make a custom overhead console that fits both of these about the rearview mirror. A couple of questions for those who have had experience in making these...

1) I want to make it out of fiberglass. Do I make a wooden frame, then get fiberglass mesh and mold it around the wood? Any other ideas that may be easier to do then Fiberglass?
2) For scanguage. The cable that came with it, is it long enough to reach the unit? If not, how did those who mounted in the overhead console accomplish this? Did you just get ethernet cable and extended it?

Thanks,
space

·
Registered
479 Posts
I got a portable GPS and Scangauge today. Want to make a custom overhead console that fits both of these about the rearview mirror. A couple of questions for those who have had experience in making these...

2) For scanguage. The cable that came with it, is it long enough to reach the unit? If not, how did those who mounted in the overhead console accomplish this? Did you just get ethernet cable and extended it?

Thanks,
space
There is plenty of length on the cable to connect to a Scangauge mounted close to the rearview mirror. If you have the side curtain airbags you need to be careful when you route the cable up the A pillar. The airbag is actually above the door (not in the A pillar) but there a restraint strap that runs down from the headliner down the A pillar that keeps the bottom front corner of the side airbag properly located. This strap is closer to the grab handle and there is an electrical harness closer to the windshield. Keep the Scangauge cable with the electrical harness and you're good. It's a PITA but you can fish the RJ-45 end of the Scangauge cable from the A pillar into the headliner area without dropping the headliner. Run a couple of extra wires if you do this and you can setup lights and other accessories when you get around to it.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...hting-door-activated-instructions-w-pics.html

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is good that I can fish the RJ45 cable without dropping the headliner. How did you do this? Cloths hanger? What I want to do is take 12V accessory plug there so I can plug the GPS into it and have it's own power source and I could tap into that for lights also.

I'm actually going to try a universal overhead storage first and see if I can use that. If I don't get what I want, I'll just ditch it and try something else.

Now, how would you attach this to the headliner? Am I going to need to remove the headline or is there something where I can drill a hole in the headliner, put something in the hole so it expands and locks in place? Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Thanks,
space

1 - 3 of 3 Posts