Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so i have been inspired by Wikid overhead panel

If some people want it I can build few more but there is not gonna be finish as mine (you gotta cut holes for switches and screen to your systems) and i need to know how many people would order on material wise and job it would cost around $400 If you interesting in complete console PM me with detail what you looking to put in it and i can probably (99.9%) build it for you custom

decide to build my own over head console witch will hold all the following items
(1) Blue map lights
(2) A dome light, rear map light combo
(3) a hatch for sunglasses or flashlight (did not instal)
(4) a beveled switch panel
(5) a beveled Scangauge mount (did not instal due to not sure with one i want but left space for it)
(6) Extra speaker system
(7) a Flat switch panel (with total control of all items in overhead panel)
(8) Homelink
(9) 7" GPS unit (undercover)
(10) dvd player for passenger (undercover) (with headphones jack) did not instal yet due to not find one what i want
(11) Undercover Radar
(12) front view+rear view camera (possibly undercover) working together with GPS unit

A panel actually build from a fiber glass and give me a future not to destroy interior of the car

so there is progress so far

base starts from here (use thin plywood to give temp structure)

Add pocket for radar and camera

Add panel for modular and switches (also on table laying cover for support)

sprayed with black paint to see all defects also making cuts for mounting

primer

mounting brackets

final fit make sure all items will work together

mounting bracket inside car (use holes from mirror and from middle of the car lights)

mounts console to see if everything will workout good

that's how i mount in middle of cabin

This is the finish product how it looks at night

Let me know what you think and if you have any ideas for it!!!

I did not finish installing few items due to still decide what i want so far on passenger side

Who cant see the pictures I add AS attachment

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
Nice work . That was my next step. Pull it down and start the forming. It looks like you took it and ran with it . I'm glad you could get some ideas from my original design . Life has gotten in my way of fabrication, but, just today, I have already pulled mine down, to go to the next step. I may need to get some details from you if you don't mind.
thanks
Don
By the way, that was my initial design. The final looked better than that:cheers:

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I like what your showing so far! I wish I had the time to make a prototype like your working on. If it turns out looking real clean and factory like you should make a real good mold and maybe try and sell it to a large vendor maybe mass produce them...I would buy one because there really is a need for cosole space with all the gadgets I have.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice work . That was my next step. Pull it down and start the forming. It looks like you took it and ran with it . I'm glad you could get some ideas from my original design . Life has gotten in my way of fabrication, but, just today, I have already pulled mine down, to go to the next step. I may need to get some details from you if you don't mind.
thanks
Don
By the way, that was my initial design. The final looked better than that:cheers:
I admire your console there is I made couple adjustments because for my everyday use I need more practical such radar detector GPS and so on and main things people like to break in to cars so I try to make almost all is undercover ...

If some one interesting i have by my work plastic forming company i can stop by and see if they can make copy of it ... before I make cuts for dvd gps and switches (in this design it should fit 7 plus 4 rocket switches on sides) I will post final pictures

and YES i dont mind to trade in ideas
console actually install with out damaging original roof (not count one little bolt hole :lol:) i find where to make that hole by study you photos (big thanks for it!!!!!!)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like what your showing so far! I wish I had the time to make a prototype like your working on. If it turns out looking real clean and factory like you should make a real good mold and maybe try and sell it to a large vendor maybe mass produce them...I would buy one because there really is a need for cosole space with all the gadgets I have.
not sure about sell to big vendors but I can stop by next week and see what they gonna say and how much they wanna for it ....

main part is mounting hardware pretty much I have to do all pieces custom ...

plus i think need that console ship like that so people can install what they want on it

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
Leather would be interesting. Hmm It's down now, I could re due the whole headliner.
Never know... good idea

Thanks for the compliments . I am envious of many FJ's here. everyone has a different take on cool mods. i just enjoy seeing all the different flavors.
This new OH console looks like another great option
great work
thanks

Don

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
YuryZ, that is looking AWESOME!!!! I love Wikid's too I loved reading his build. I just hope you were wise enough to make 2 OH consoles because I know you wanna come by and put one in my rig!!!:rofl::wave:

Keep me updated:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Leather on the headliner sounds like a good idea. My first thought is, why do i not see leather on the headliner of nicer vehicles (maybe on some, but for the majority, no)

Reason 1. Whats the normal reason people replace their headliner (besides being dirty), sagging headliner. The normal material used is a very thin, very lightweight material. Leather is significantly more heavy. My guess is leather would have a much higher tendency to sag even with professional level auto upholstery glue. (found some Ferraris and Bentleys and such using leather for headliner actually.)

Reason 2. Good luck finding a cow big enough to make an entire headliner. The headliner material would have to be stitched together and have seams.

A good quality vinyl is another option.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
YuryZ, that is looking AWESOME!!!! I love Wikid's too I loved reading his build. I just hope you were wise enough to make 2 OH consoles because I know you wanna come by and put one in my rig!!!:rofl::wave:

Keep me updated:bigthumb:
Thanks man as soon i FINISH WILL WORK ON NEXT ONE .....

Reason 2. Good luck finding a cow big enough to make an entire headliner. The headliner material would have to be stitched together and have seams.
if they put on Maserati so i consider FJ is Maserati of all SUV

Hmmm good idea ... something like that will match my car !!!!

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Thanks man

if they put on Maserati so i consider FJ is Maserati of all SUV

Hmmm good idea ... something like that will match my car !!!!
True, but a Maserati's roof is probably at max half the size of the FJCs. I'm not saying it can't be done, just difficult.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Anything that coverd up the finger prints, tire marks, fishing pole scratches, and god knows what else is on mine, would be good. I'm thinking rhino liner would be my best option. :cheers:

I love wikid's overhead console... this is beginning to look great as well. I think I might be able to build the console... MAYBE. But wiring all of that stuff up would make my head spin. That's a lot of work in itself.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Looks good !

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Anything that coverd up the finger prints, tire marks, fishing pole scratches, and god knows what else is on mine, would be good. I'm thinking rhino liner would be my best option. :cheers:

I love wikid's overhead console... this is beginning to look great as well. I think I might be able to build the console... MAYBE. But wiring all of that stuff up would make my head spin. That's a lot of work in itself.
that's one of my problem then i start putting hardware i left some marks on roof ... it will be covered by OH console but black roof will cover everything ones for all plus it will match interior of the car .... may be on winter i will do that ....

yea wiring make me think twice but i think i gonna go slowly to do so and try to finish it in 2 days ... (idea is 1 day on console .. second day spend wiring car .... ) will see how it goes and will post a pictures as i do it ....

any ideas where to get power from in car .. there is 2 options one from cigarette lighter second from battery and power on from flip of the switch .... but how about dual power ????

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
:bigthumb::bigthumb:You guys are mad with the talent. Keep us posted on the progress.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I wish I had the ability to do something like this. Great work.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts