Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,i,m new on here. i own a 2008 toyota fj cruiser. i was looking around the net and on here about overhead consoles. I want more lights in the front ,like map lights for example. i swa one person use a gmc yukon overhead console. does anyone know what year it came out from. Also i saw a fj on this site which appeared to me like a factory overhead light console. I can,t find the pictures now to show you. Is there such a thing or another made up mode. One more thing ,can anyone tell me how i can put a bigger passenger visor mirror on or get an aftermarket one. the one that came with my fj is one inch by one inch practically, useless. The wife would like one with the lights on beside the mirror on visor. any help please,thanks

·
Registered
545 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Inustrial Forming, a forum vendor that offers console covers for the FJC, is supposedly developing an overhead console. Here's the latest:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...5286-any-overhead-storage-prototype-pics.html

The console cover they offer is first-class, and I would expect the same if they ever bring an overhead console to the market.
hi there,we have the same colour fj . i saw on this site a fj with a nice overhead console. I have it bookmarked and emailed the person who has it ,but no responce yet.thanks

·
Premium Member
501 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey there lunkerbass;
now that's the stuff. i've been looking for a light and storage solution for all the dim up front space. i've looked at a few (the tahoe being one and the pic sure looks to be the best. thanks for putting them up.

·
Registered
934 Posts
The tahoe overhead console was one of the first mods I did over three years ago and while I have enjoyed it as one of the best mods so far i would do it a bit different now. I used a tahoe with home link and I would not go with out that again. After doing mine i saw one that had come from a Honda accord that had the map lights and the sunglass holder and home link that was much less intrusive to the head liner. I would look for one like that if I were doing it again. Also since I have gone to led lights in my dome light I rarely use the map lights as they are not that bright in the tahoe overhead console. Pm me though if you want to know the process of putting in one as it can be a bit scary cutting into your headliner.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
The tahoe overhead console was one of the first mods I did over three years ago and while I have enjoyed it as one of the best mods so far i would do it a bit different now. I used a tahoe with home link and I would not go with out that again. After doing mine i saw one that had come from a Honda accord that had the map lights and the sunglass holder and home link that was much less intrusive to the head liner. I would look for one like that if I were doing it again. Also since I have gone to led lights in my dome light I rarely use the map lights as they are not that bright in the tahoe overhead console. Pm me though if you want to know the process of putting in one as it can be a bit scary cutting into your headliner.
I'm pretty sure yours was the inspiration to do mine. The map lights I rarely use as the only plus to them is that they shine the light from a front position down onto whatever your reading instead of something angled behind you.
I would rate it more on the side of cool looks than storage or functionality
You can buy the separate section for the homelink to replace the one that hides a regular remote but the amount of times I use it I chose to leave it as is

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've seen a few members here use a Honda Accord overhead console and it looks awesome. Plus was that it had the homelink buttons. I'm really interested in doing this Accord overhead console and was wondering which specific one do we used and what years? Also, for those who have done this, would you please give us a guide how to accomplish this? I'm a little scared to cut into my headliner.

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I'm in the process of makingone for my FJ right now. Its going to span between the rear veiw mirror to the factory dome light and will hold my scanner, CB/ham, Arrow stick contoller and new LED police style red/clear dome light. Simullar to this...

TJ Overhead Console Build....Lots of Pics! - Expedition Portal Forum

Its been a slow progress, but it is going. I was trying to design a way so i didn't have to cut into the headliner, but that doesn't seem like it will work if i want to mount the equipment i want.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I'm also in the process of fabricating a custom console. I dropped the headliner and removed the factory rack to run wiring for exterior lights and for the backing to support the console. The console itself will ultimately house a PC, CB and 10 switches for the lights, etc.
Since I occasionally make a surfboard or 2, I have a bunch of foam, epoxy and glass around for projects. The console is shaped out of foam at this point, so all I have to do now is glass it and dissolve the foam with solvent. Then drill the switch holes and make some brackets to mount it.. Easy huh?
I'll post up when it gets farther along..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts