Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Professional looking! You got balls.. I'm too timid to cut up the interior like that!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Going to do 1 more post and then let it rest ...

A number of people sounded like they are going to try this also, way to go!
You will like the results. Also, a number of you buying your lights, might
think .... I wonder if that guy will follow through with my bracket?

Well, here's the answer ... bracket making 102. :clap:

did the prelim layouts (forgot to take a picture, I had already drilled some)

drilled some holes

scored the cutoff line about 1/3 matl thickness then broke it off

cleaned up the edges

put the bracket in a vise and squared it up

came up with a "forming tool" since I don't have a press break at the house

bent the sucker over

added a 15 degree overbend to the front flange (note the high dollar gauge)

2 episodes of american chopper later ....

12 completed brackets

Hope you all enjoyed my little project, I had fun sharing it with you.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Man - you have a lot of skill and balls.

Why all the brackets? Are you selling them?

I'd be really surprised if the '08 FJC does not have improved lighting.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Man - you have a lot of skill and balls.

Why all the brackets? Are you selling them?

I'd be really surprised if the '08 FJC does not have improved lighting.
Earlier in the post I offered a free bracket to anyone that wanted to
try the mod. I've had about 6 people that say they are gonna go
for it! I figure there may be a couple more come along after the 1st
guys give it a try.

I would agree, I'd bet there will be a couple of nice changes coming out.

Of course if they fix everything, that will eliminate some of our fun
hacking around.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I wanted some overhead map lights and I had done some research and
I bought a couple of things to try, of which most would not fit correctly,
etc, etc, but here is what I ended up doing .....

Bought an overhead light on e-bay out of a GMC suburban

Probed with a needle to find the front roof crossmember (wanted to stay
just forward of it and use it to mount a bracket onto)

looked from the rear to make sure everything was centered

laid out the side boundries

took a last look see before the "point of no return"

took a deep breath (after measuring about 20 more times) and cut the hole

made a mounting bracket

drilled some holes in the roof cross member

mounted the bracket

tapped into the existing overhead light (all jointes were soldered!)

fished the line to the front

spotted the light mounting holes in the bracket

mounted the light

finished up the tap

hooked the battery back up and gave it a test!

The map lights work on their own individual switches and the center
light works with the doors.

If anyone wants to try this, let me know. I actually took about 2-3
times more pictures then I actually posted, took a number of measurements,
etc. just in case someone else wants to try this and would like a little help.
Old primer mike 5 just did a ebay robot map lite 19.99.points to what i train it for,radar detector/wire free,battries, I dont speed..wink

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Did I mention I like it! I had an idea for my own tonight driving to the movies with my gf: Our '05 echo has a nice bright set of map lights in it, and it would look awesome in my FJ headliner! I am going to the dealer to pick one up ASAP, cutting a hole, and wiring it. Thanks for the motivation!

·
Registered
4 Posts
EXCELLENT!! I just got done installing my XM radio and was thinking about 2 more things the FJ needs. An overhead console and a light for the glove box. This is a great mod.

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts

Okay I'm going for it! I bought another assembly of maplights from Toyota that are out of an '05 echo (ours is in the picture). I know this is going to take some custom fab, but I think/hope I can hack it. Thanks again for the inspiration.

Oh yeah, my girlfriend wouldn't let me have the light from the echo, so I had to shell out $120CAD for it. I don't know what she has against duct tape...that would have patched the hole in the echo's roof nicely.

I know it was steep but I need lights!!!

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Once again, I really, really want to thank Swiss Army. He is the first to have the balls big enough to cut his headliner and provided free brackkets to those that asked. I did deviate a little from his game plan though. I ordered both the GMC and a Ford Exploder dome lights from ebay. In the end, I thought that the Ford had a little lower profile and went with that. Here are the final pic's. You may notice the additional switch. It is there to kill the overhead domelight, in case I ever want to. Oh, and BTW, the 18 watt bulb that was original in the light fixture was WAY too much light, it looked like a nuclear blast in there, I have an 11 watt in there now and may still change it out. Definitely recommend this to all (if you are local I will offer to to help even), the lighting is a vast improvement!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Once again, I really, really want to thank Swiss Army. He is the first to have the balls big enough to cut his headliner and provided free brackkets to those that asked. I did deviate a little from his game plan though. I ordered both the GMC and a Ford Exploder dome lights from ebay. In the end, I thought that the Ford had a little lower profile and went with that. Here are the final pic's. You may notice the additional switch. It is there to kill the overhead domelight, in case I ever want to. Oh, and BTW, the 18 watt bulb that was original in the light fixture was WAY too much light, it looked like a nuclear blast in there, I have an 11 watt in there now and may still change it out. Definitely recommend this to all (if you are local I will offer to to help even), the lighting is a vast improvement!!!
Looks good. I spray painted my GMC overhead map light yesterday with plastic primer. Today, I did flat grey that closely match the grey interior. Will follow with satin clear coat later in the evening.

This should be very dry by time I do two projects on Wednesday. The overhead, and atrac/rlock hack.

Good idea about the kill switch. I think I will go buy the switch. And I'll try finding power supply to the light and put the switch in.

******* SOME MORE THOUGHTS *******

I got to think some more about this when I went out for my 5 miles run. I wonder what is it like with the overhead light?

1. Does the light in the overhead have slow fade-on, and slow fade off the same way as original dome light?
2. Does not the switch in the original light controls the way the map light goes on and off?

I'd like to know.. if not then I'd ponder some more on how I can tap in wires from that dome light switch.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
******* SOME MORE THOUGHTS *******

I got to think some more about this when I went out for my 5 miles run. I wonder what is it like with the overhead light?

1. Does the light in the overhead have slow fade-on, and slow fade off the same way as original dome light?

Yes, just like stock

2. Does not the switch in the original light controls the way the map light goes on and off?

Unfortunately, no. The wiring will not allow this setup

I'd like to know.. if not then I'd ponder some more on how I can tap in wires from that dome light switch.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 · (Edited)
You are more than welcome. I like your setup. That Explorer light looks good.
You are correct on the light note .... those babies make all the difference in the world on the "up-front" light now.

Nice job! ... oh BTW, looks like a nice crack in the windshield!

41 - 60 of 151 Posts