Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

141 - 151 of 151 Posts

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Ok, I have a few questions concerning the wiring.

I am installing a Garmin and want to mount it above the rearview mirror. I would like to tie the unit wiring right into the door lamp. Are any of the wiring for the door lamp accessory power on when key turned on? Which ones? Thanks

·
Registered
151 Posts
Ok, I have a few questions concerning the wiring.

I am installing a Garmin and want to mount it above the rearview mirror. I would like to tie the unit wiring right into the door lamp. Are any of the wiring for the door lamp accessory power on when key turned on? Which ones? Thanks
There are three lines that come from the dome light. One is the ground, one is hot all the time, and the last is powered on all the time until you open the door then it goes of for 30 sec. this is the control circuit for the door open light mode. If I was to add a GPS up there I would grab the power from in the drivers A pillar. There is a connector there with a red line that is powered all the time, there may also be a line, that is powered through the acc. I'd have to check the wiring diagram or test it to know for sure.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
There are three lines that come from the dome light. One is the ground, one is hot all the time, and the last is powered on all the time until you open the door then it goes of for 30 sec. this is the control circuit for the door open light mode. If I was to add a GPS up there I would grab the power from in the drivers A pillar. There is a connector there with a red line that is powered all the time, there may also be a line, that is powered through the acc. I'd have to check the wiring diagram or test it to know for sure.

you are correct .. you could tap here (a-pillar):

install 071 (Medium).jpg

however, another thought would be to continue the tap line down thru the dash, installing the correct amperage inline fuse (my GPS is 3 amps), and then connect into the fuse block.

by tapping into the a-pillar, you either use whatever fuse amperage is on that circuit (which could be too high for the GPS) or you add a fuse there which would be inconvienient.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Anyone in SoCal want to help out a fellow FJ owner?

Hey guys - Installer request here.
I just ordered the Acura console (looks identical to the Honda one above). It should be here in a few days.
I'm in Venice, CA - would anyone local be up for helping me out? I pay in whatever currency make you happiest ($, beer, pizza, :D). I'm ok with the cutting, etc. Just need help with the wiring and braket if needed to secure the unit.
:)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Re: Anyone in SoCal want to help out a fellow FJ owner?

Hey guys - Installer request here.
I just ordered the Acura console (looks identical to the Honda one above). It should be here in a few days.
I'm in Venice, CA - would anyone local be up for helping me out? I pay in whatever currency make you happiest ($, beer, pizza, :D). I'm ok with the cutting, etc. Just need help with the wiring and braket if needed to secure the unit.
:)
Sorry, I'm on the wrong coast. It's really not too hard to do, if you have some basic mechanical skills. Use a sharp blade if you decide to cut the headliner yourself.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Great job!
I like it alot!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Good taste! Same one I installed a while back. I managed to hit the crossbeam, no bracket needed. Love it. Good job. :clap:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Im so glad I finally found this thread, thanks Swiss!

·
Registered
66 Posts
swissarmy... Cool install, PMed you about brackets

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
not needed

141 - 151 of 151 Posts