Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 402 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Overhead Maplight Kit (Development)

Hi Boys and Girls,

Swiss here with a possible project proposal for an overhead map light kit.

A lot of you are probably aware of the other map light project I did:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics/15600-overhead-map-light-install-lots-pics-details.html#post253847

And some of you even made additional improvements; scan guages, etc. and that was great. But this map light thing has kind of bugged me because I feel it is one of the most needed mods on the FJ and there have not been more people doing it. Not that I am pissed that I am not sending out more free brackets; folks this mod is a "must do".

Anyways, I was working on another little FJ project yesterday and while doing it, I was doing some "brain multi-tasking" (i.e. thinking about this map light thing also). Note: This becomes a major accomplishment as you get a little older... maybe I'll check with bellydoc on this? Oh, back to the topic. I figure that most people are just afraid to cut into their headliner and the project was a little scarey for them to do ... and I don't blame them, I have messed up a few things in my day.

Ok, here is my question: Would people be interested in a nice little kit that would have everything you need in it for overhead map lights which would be easy to install and would be a surface mount?

This (or something very similar) would be the light:

mlk 1 (Medium).jpg

Let me know your thoughts and if some of you are interested, I'll investigate a little further. I need to go change my oil ... I may attempt a little "multi-tasking" again while doing that.

12/26/2007 Note: See http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/swissarmysuv-products/43947-overhead-map-light-mini-console-kit-forum-sale.html#post748294 for the Kit

·
Premium Member
3,445 Posts
Great idea Swiss, although that light isn't nearly as nice as the one you used on your install. I'm sure the cost is quite a bit less, but the quality doesn't appear to be on par. The color of the light you installed better matches the headliner as well. I think the black color would be kind of a "sore thumb" point. If your kit was to include an overhead light that is just like, or very similar, to the one you installed, and the price is right, I might just have to pull the trigger on it.

On another note. Thanks for all the cool do-it-yourself mods that you have contributed to the site. They are much appreciated:)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GOT IT! .. couldn't wait, had to do a little test and just did it.

This is so simple, you will say, "why didn't I think of that".

All you will need is a phillips screwdriver, a pair of needle nose pliers, and about 1/2 hours time.. I'm fired up!

I sent off an e-mail to get a quote on some lights, will be out of town this next week so it may be early the following week when I can have some pricing. Gut feel is that it would be about the price of a tank of gas.

Back to the oil change. Catch ya later.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Swiss,

I would definately be interested in this kit, depending on actual light used and cost. I also prefer the look of the light you used in your original conversion - looks a little more stock and blends better with interior.

Keep up the great work!

-Chris

·
Registered
599 Posts
Thanks for the research.... This is something that I felt should have been included when we bought the FJ. I love my truck, but I need a map light...

Keep us up to date - I am in on a group buy.

Paul

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
hey swiss, is this gonna mount off of the rear view mirror? i think that would be super easy. i already have my garage/gate opener up there (i believe you did that first here). i would be interested if i could make my opener stay up there as well.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Ok, here is my question: Would people be interested in a nice little kit that would have everything you need in it for overhead map lights which would be easy to install and would be a surface mount?

Let me know your thoughts and if some of you are interested, I'll investigate a little further. I need to go change my oil ... I may attempt a little "multi-tasking" again while doing that.
I'm wondering if this mounts to the mirror? If it mounts to the headliner, something gray that matches would be better, I think. I would like to have some map lights, so keep us posted, please.

·
Registered
467 Posts
yes please, I want one.

·
Registered
348 Posts
you've peaked my interest :)

i showed my husband the DIY you did on the maplight install and he doesn't have a problem cutting into the headliner... our deal is finding the time to do this mod (seems how he's in the military) when both of us are home and not bogged down with other stuff...

this 'rear view mirror' map light mod- and forgive my ignorance here:D - seems like it might work, however i'm not sure as to how useful they'll be if they're mounted on the mirror and not overhead... seems like something would work better if they were mounted above you, pointing down, instead of in front of you/slightly above and pointing toward your chest.... or am i just way off base???
i've never seen one hooked to a rearview mirror.... although my husband's old Chevy S-10 had the rear view mirror with the map lights integrated into them and it worked great... however the interior of that vehicle is totally different than the FJ...

but i am interested in what it would look like mounted... and how well its location would work... you are awesome for taking the time to look out for us FJers and our maplightless interiors ;)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
you've peaked my interest :)

i showed my husband the DIY you did on the maplight install and he doesn't have a problem cutting into the headliner... our deal is finding the time to do this mod (seems how he's in the military) when both of us are home and not bogged down with other stuff...

this 'rear view mirror' map light mod- and forgive my ignorance here:D - seems like it might work, however i'm not sure as to how useful they'll be if they're mounted on the mirror and not overhead... seems like something would work better if they were mounted above you, pointing down, instead of in front of you/slightly above and pointing toward your chest.... or am i just way off base???
;)
Actually, what was meant here was that the mirror would stay exactly as it is and where it is, but the mounting point where the mirror mounts into the roof cross member would be "co-utilized" so to say. The new map light concept would have the map light mounted in front of the mirror and towards the rear of the vehicle (and on the ceiling). This way, the map light would be in front of you, aimed where it needs to be aimed, and it would look like it came from the factory... not some added on thing.

Quick reminder to all .... I will out of town this week until Friday. Hopefully I'll have some pricing on some lights when I return and they are not too many $$. Also, if the pricing looks ok, I would do a prototype mount and let everyone see it and then we can decide as a team if we proceed ... same as the recessed fog light project. I kind of did the design work, some people made some suggestions, I made some changes, and then we went forward with the project.

1 - 20 of 402 Posts