Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

361 - 380 of 402 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Swiss - got it!!

I have to admit that this kit is the best effort I have ever seen! You are a true forum hero and deserve a lot more credit for all the work that you have done to help us all out. Thanks!!!

no problem ..

In the following picture, the blue terminals are "keyed" power
and the black terminals are "100% full time power". Use any one of the
black 100% "full" terminals.

View attachment 18900

Plug into exactly where the marks are ... the opposite
sides of the terminals are dead.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Kevin,
Your directions for the map light install are the best set of directions I have ever seen. You explain everything in detail- beyond detail. Even a caveman could do it.
The only problem I have is the lights are so bright that I can see all the dirt on my dash. Guess I am going to have to clean my truck, at least the inside.
Thanks for a great product! I will be sure to show the midwest (TOGA) group the quality product you created.
Finished

·
Registered
274 Posts
Got mine in the FJ today!:bananahump-slvrathl
Awesome! I ran into a little snag with an over-torqued factory mirror screw that ended-up stripping. Made for a very slow mirror removal. And who knew that mtb water bottle bolts would work as replacements for the mirror screws. After I got the strpped screw out, everything went SOOOO smooth. Thanks again. My wife's comment was that now she could put make-up on at night. Geez!

toby

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #364
Got mine in the FJ today!:bananahump-slvrathl
Awesome! I ran into a little snag with an over-torqued mirror screw that ended-up stripping. Made for a very slow Step #1. And who new that mtb water bottle bolts would work as replacements for the mirror screws. After I got the strpped screw out, everything went SOOOO smooth. Thanks again. My wife's comment was that now she could put make-up on at night. Geez!

toby
My appologies for the screw, PM sent.

·
Registered
274 Posts
My appologies for the screw, PM sent.
Just to clarify. One of the factory mirror mount screws was over-torqued. Tighteneed through the interior white plastic piece. A little too tight I'd say.:( After this little Toyota-induced obstacle, the install took 30-45 minutes. Super smooth. Once again, a great mod!

toby

·
Registered
67 Posts
Not wanting to hijack this thread or anything but has anyone been successful in adding swivel map lights, possibly like this one out of a Tahoe ? I am not sure I want the storage bin as well.

http://i13.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/ca/10/407c_1.JPG

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #367

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks (see PM, just looking for your feedback on actual lights and bracket measurements - sent it before I read this)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey,

Swiss was kind enough to send me a package while I was on the road and I got it installed halfway with no problems. Very nice solution. Even though it is right in front I don't "see" it at all--which is a high compliment.

Two questions:

1) Any thoughts on shielding the driver from the vertical edge of the passenger's LED? It's not bad but a shield would be nice. Maybe just painting the edge?

2) The opening and access to a power supply seems like a good combo to get a iPod or GPS mounted up there. Anyone done this yet? And thoughts on the right way to go about it?

--Darin

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #370
Someone needs to post pics of one with a scangauge
I am working today on a semi-recessed option.

I made a routing template for the specific scangauge cutout and did a test on a scrap piece of abs.

Found irregularities in the molding of the scan gauge housing. Am heading to the hardware to get a couple of things to try ... more details later, but I think I have a pretty good idea how to do a pretty slick mounting.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am working today on a semi-recessed option.

I made a routing template for the specific scangauge cutout and did a test on a scrap piece of abs.

Found irregularities in the molding of the scan gauge housing. Am heading to the hardware to get a couple of things to try ... more details later, but I think I have a pretty good idea how to do a pretty slick mounting.

Is that last photo deceptive or does the mounting plate block the female RJ45 port ?

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I just bought one...can't wait to get it...I hate you people for making me addicted to mods (that's a joke!), But I guess like all junkies, If I'm goin down I'm taken you all with me!:hat:

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #374
I just bought one...can't wait to get it...I hate you people for making me addicted to mods (that's a joke!), But I guess like all junkies, If I'm goin down I'm taken you all with me!:hat:
I sent it via the "ice road truckers". Hope it gets there soon!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #375 (Edited)
Since there are a couple of posts on the map light, I'll do a dual post here also on the scanguage updates.

Finished the housing routing template; made a scangauge mounting bracket which will go inside the housing; and mounted the scangauge.

I am pleased with the results; the scangauge looks like it belongs there.

I will mount the scangauge in a finished Mini-console tomorrow and get some better pictures as these were not the greatest.

Note: The picture angles were a little off; the scangauge is actually flush to the top of the housing.

Note: finish details on the scangauge mount:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics/43947-overhead-map-light-mini-console-kit-forum-sale-7.html#post799314

·
Registered
358 Posts
Got mine installed. Reading the instructions definitely takes longer than installing. Quite easily actually. Kudos to the amount of detail.

On thing I might suggest when using the hanger to thread the wire. I wrapped the end in electrical tape. Although it left some residue on the windshield (which is easy to remove), it keeps the hanger from scratching the glass. Makes the end a slight bit thicker but not enough to hamper routing the tip.

I'm now in search of a local source for egrips to line the inside of the "pocket". That way I can put items up top and not worry too much about them sliding around.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #377
Got mine installed. Reading the instructions definitely takes longer than installing. Quite easily actually. Kudos to the amount of detail.

On thing I might suggest when using the hanger to thread the wire. I wrapped the end in electrical tape. Although it left some residue on the windshield (which is easy to remove), it keeps the hanger from scratching the glass. Makes the end a slight bit thicker but not enough to hamper routing the tip.

I'm now in search of a local source for egrips to line the inside of the "pocket". That way I can put items up top and not worry too much about them sliding around.
Both very good suggestions .. thank you.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have decided to mount my roof light switches there (three of them). I'll post pictures when done.

361 - 380 of 402 Posts