Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just signed up for the Overland Expo near Tucson April 1-3. I am wondering who else might be heading down for the Weekend Experience. I had not planned to go again (would have been #3) because of the early date but when I learned there may be some new off-road trailers displaying I decided to have another go.

I will be doing a leisurely trip out along the border and boondock camping for the most part. Anyone traveling that way would be welcome company. Also may be hanging around Southern AZ for a few days after the Expo before heading up to Utah.

Alan

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Myself, FJNewb & Gregf are going out there from Houston. There are also several folks on the expedition portal from Houston going. Will see you there.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hey Alan....Jake (http://newmexicobackroads.blogspot.com/) and I will be there. I think we are going to try to run the New Mexico section of the Continental divide as our "pre-Expo" expedition.....eventually ending up in Amado. It's a work in progress.

George

·
Registered
728 Posts
Some of us from El Paso area are planning to take back roads to Bisbee then follow the roads along the border & camp at Parker Canyon Lake enroute to the EXPO. I think part of our route is the same George & Jake took last year. We ran it from the EXPO back to Bisbee last year. Great country back in there.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Alan....Jake (http://newmexicobackroads.blogspot.com/) and I will be there. I think we are going to try to run the New Mexico section of the Continental divide as our "pre-Expo" expedition.....eventually ending up in Amado. It's a work in progress.

George
Hey George,

I would think most of the CDT would be under snow at least in the higher places, especially in late March. You may have seen my thread about doing all the CDT in July and August. Even that late I would expect some of the high passes may still have snow. Of course all that depends on snow cover for the rest of the winter.

In any case it would be great to hook up with some folks heading for the OEX and come into Armado all covered with mud. Well, not too much. :lol:

Alan

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Myself, FJNewb & Gregf are going out there from Houston. There are also several folks on the expedition portal from Houston going. Will see you there.
Look me up and we can talk about my experience in Alaska in 2006. I am driving a Ti FJ towing an Escape 17 travel trailer (think Casita on steroids).

Alan

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
It looks like our tentetive plans are to headout Wednesday evening (Mar.30) after work and head to Kerrville. Gregf knows a city park there where we can rent a couple of cabins to crash for the night. From there head to Fort Stockton, up to Pecos and then to Carlsbad. A little further north we will head to Cloudcroft and White Sands NP. and then on to Amado.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am making all these travel plans on the assumption my doctor will clear me for travel. I won't know until feb 25, but I am almost positive I will be good to go. I may be leaving as early as Mid-March and may go to the the TLCA gathering in Texas on the way.

I stopped at Parker Canyon Lake a few years ago. Got down to about 15 that night! Hope we don't see any of that. From there I went up through Sonita and back to I-10. I would like to continue down along the border to Nagales, then north to Armado, but don't know if the roads along the border would be doable pulling a 17' travel trailer. It is set up for mild off-highway, but if the roads were wet I would not try it. Anyone have local knowledge of that area?

Alan

·
Registered
728 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
I am making all these travel plans on the assumption my doctor will clear me for travel. I won't know until feb 25, but I am almost positive I will be good to go. I may be leaving as early as Mid-March and may go to the the TLCA gathering in Texas on the way.

I stopped at Parker Canyon Lake a few years ago. Got down to about 15 that night! Hope we don't see any of that. From there I went up through Sonita and back to I-10. I would like to continue down along the border to Nagales, then north to Armado, but don't know if the roads along the border would be doable pulling a 17' travel trailer. It is set up for mild off-highway, but if the roads were wet I would not try it. Anyone have local knowledge of that area?

Alan
Hey Ace....Jake and I drove that way last year (Parker Canyon Lake west to Nogales). I don't think there's any part of that route that would give you any trouble. It's just "dirt road"...a little uphill, a little downhill. By the way it looks like Jake and I will spending Thursday night at the Lake camp ground there again this year.

George

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
George,

Good to know that route is doable. My Gazetteer does not even show a road along the border east of Nogales, but Chuck Wells does. Just ordered another AZ Backcountry guidebook (Massey/Wilson) and hopefully that does have more info on that area. Mr Leary from Expo is posting a lengthy trip from Central Texas down to Great Bend NP then along the border to Armado. I would like to do all of that trip but doubt my trailer could handle all of it.

Looking forward to seeing you, Jake and some others at the lake.

Alan

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
This could be fun. I'll put it on my schedule.

·
Registered
202 Posts
George,

Good to know that route is doable. My Gazetteer does not even show a road along the border east of Nogales, but Chuck Wells does. Just ordered another AZ Backcountry guidebook (Massey/Wilson) and hopefully that does have more info on that area. Mr Leary from Expo is posting a lengthy trip from Central Texas down to Great Bend NP then along the border to Armado. I would like to do all of that trip but doubt my trailer could handle all of it.

Looking forward to seeing you, Jake and some others at the lake.

Alan
Hey Alan...Good to hear from you. We are running the border again this year. Please join us if you like....you can find out more about our trip (with map) here:

Expedition Portal Forum

We had to change our original route down the divide because of time constraints.

See ya at the lake.

G

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just got the Massey/Wilson guidebook and it has excellant coverage of that area east of Nogales and none of the roads I plan to use are rated beyond easy.

George, I looked at Jake's post on Expo and see we may have the same route for a portion and definitely will meet up at Parker Canyon Lake. I'd do the whole run with you guys except your proposed pace would be too much with my trailer in tow.

Alan

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'd do the whole run with you guys except your proposed pace would be too much with my trailer in tow.

Alan
I'm not so sure about that....I'll be pulling my Jumping Jack trailer with the RZR up top.

G

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
crazyhermit;184469........ with the RZR up top. G[/QUOTE said:
George,

Your pretty radical with your FJ, but I'd guess you would really live up to your moniker driving a Razer!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just found this thread. I ll be heading down to the Expo and will have my rig parked at the Snow Peak booth. Come by and say "Hey" Not sure what direction I ll be rolling until just before I leave. After the Expo a group of us will be doing some exploring for a few days moving north as we head home. Looking forward to seeing all the rigs and toys.

Steve

·
Registered
728 Posts
I will be attending. Were driving our Enduros out from Colorado. I have learned I buy much less stuff if I have to carry it on my back! But we catch some major back country along the way Rob

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just found this thread. I ll be heading down to the Expo and will have my rig parked at the Snow Peak booth. Come by and say "Hey" Not sure what direction I ll be rolling until just before I leave. After the Expo a group of us will be doing some exploring for a few days moving north as we head home. Looking forward to seeing all the rigs and toys.

Steve
That is one of the best parts about the Expo... wandering the parking lots and campground looking at all the varied rigs and stealing ideas. There is a lot of stuff not officially on display that are well worth a look.

I really like Snow Peak gear so will definitely look you up and probably spend some money.

Alan

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I will be attending. Were driving our Enduros out from Colorado. I have learned I buy much less stuff if I have to carry it on my back! But we catch some major back country along the way Rob
That would be real tough for me (not being able to buy stuff). It is the main reason I go as where else are you going to have such a great selection of gear that you can actually see, touch and ask questions of the guys who know their products. But it sure does put a dent in the VISA.

Alan

1 - 20 of 32 Posts