Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's going? It's being held at Biltmore Estate this year. I'm planning on going early or staying after to fly fish, depending on the weather.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For those coming from the west on I40 East I have a gem for you. Instead of taking I-40 through the gorge (TN/NC border) take the 2nd Newport Exit and get on HWY 25/70 to I-26 East. It brings you out @ North Asheville. It adds just a little bit of time but will be an absolutely Beautiful Drive! It is alot of Mountain driving so keep that in mind. But if you take that drive, you'll thank me later.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
567 Posts
expensive those tickets are? Thanks, but no thanks
Apologize when I'm missing something but what are you referring to? Price? Location? Don't want to step on someone's foot but the OP just gives a suggestion and info to others. I value your opinion and would like to see the price down but It Is what is set. For some is definitely worth. :rocker:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think the admission price is pretty reasonable, especially since it includes driving a Land Rover test vehicle on an overland skills course!

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Just registered for it last night, and will be my first Overland Expo and went with the full package. For me I figured that a weekend full of classes and practical application would be worth it, especially since I am working to get myself into a position to do more and more long trips and less short weekend camping trips. I'll be making my way out from Oklahoma.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For those coming across I-40 Be sure to check the road conditions. There is construction there now on I-40E . I don't know if they will still be working in October.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
You couldn't ask for a better time of year to visit Asheville, than while attending the Expo. Fall colors will be on display for your enjoyment. From the French Broad River Valley(Expo location),to Mount Mitchell (highest point east of the Mississippi),there are plenty of places to explore and things to do. The Biltmore Estate is located outside of Asheville. There are more breweries than you can lift a pint to in downtown (find out why Sierra Nevada and New Belgium located their east coast breweries here). Known for it's restaurant scene as well, with over 100 independent restaurants downtown. Pisgah National Forest, The Blue Ridge Parkway and The Smoky Mountain National Park are all close by. That same weekend downtown are a variety of other events as well. Oktoberfest is being celebrated on October 8th. The 5 Point Adventure Film Festival will be happening from the 6th-8th. Van Life (expo for living out of any vehicle) will be held at Salvage Station on October 6th. There is plenty of things for spouses and children to do, if they are not interested in the Expo itself. I am more than happy to give local recommendations. Hope to see you there!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I absolutely LOVE Asheville. It is definitely one of my favorite places.....Asheville reminds me of the Austin, Tx "Keep Austin Weird" vibe. One small-short trip to Western N.C./ East T.N. is just not enough time to enjoy the area, especially for those traveling so far to get there.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Im also a big fan, I previously lived out on the NC coast, and would venture out towards Asheville every so often. Amazing scenery, beer and food. Really cant wait.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Bought tickets this morning. We're camping at Lake Powhatan to be able to get away from the crowd for a bit overnight. It wasn't until just now that I realized Asheville is only about an hour south of my little brother in Johnson City, so now I'm super excited. Hope he'll come camp with me at least one of those nights!

·
Registered
78 Posts
My wife and I are signed up and have our classes booked. After the Expo we are going to start the Trans American Trail. Our goal is to do the SC and Tennessee sections.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I was going down this morning but I had to wait for the 11:00 update on the storm track. Family and work responsibilities and all... Heading out in the morning.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts