Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toying with the idea of trying a trip out with an overland style trailer. I like the trailers from Off The Grid, and I can rent one in Dallas to try out, but I was wondering if anyone has actually towed a similar trailer before. Looking at the dry weights of the Expedition and Pando 2.0 (1800-2300) I'm thinking that sounds like it might be a challenge for the FJ to haul around.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts

I’ve had no issues pulling this around.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,561 Posts

This has a tare weight of 1,400lbs but with the tent and awning it is probably close to your 1,800lbs. gross weight is 3,500lbs.

It tows well, You only really notice any effect on the FJ on climbs up mountain passes

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
That weight will be fine. But add a transmission cooler to your FJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm towing a camping trailer around, empty weight 1300 lbs, gwm 3300 lbs. Of course you'll notice it's behind you, but not a major issue. Even in our temperatures (86F+) there are no issues without an extra transmission cooler and I have dragged it for quite a few miles through soft river sand.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I tow a Modcon Forward Fold (Australian Made) all steel 1150 + kgs empty and 170kg ball weight.
My suspension set up is Old Man Emu BP-51 with air bag helper springs, this setup allows me to keep it nice and balanced (see pic).
The FJ is the 4 litre petrol auto the only option in Australia.
The FJ tows it really easy but the fuel consumption goes up about 20% and I haven't had a need for a transmission cooler. I do take it off road.
Most of our utes in Australia our are Thailand built 4 cylinder diesels around 2.5 litres they couldn't pull a sick girl off a toilet.
I have left them behind on hills whilst towing the camper.
You should be fine.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts