Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,
Introduced myself a while back but have just been lurking and soaking up as much info about these fine vehicles as this site has to offer.

Anyway, it is time for some new rubber. I have ordered a 2.5 inch leveling kit so far and am trying to decide on a tire size. So far the FJ is all stock.(my wife predominately drives this, hasn't seen too much offroad action yet, but soon)

We are leaning towards the Nitto TerraGrapplers as they are supposed to have decent road manners and available at a great price.

SO my main question is how big can you go before you really notice a significant change in handling, mpg and overall driving characteristics? Was thinking about a 285 with a body mount chop? Not sure if Nitto offers it in a 275.

What size would you guys recommend for a daily driver?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I have 285 terra grapplers and love them. They are quiet and last along time. Mine is a daily driver. I`m on my second set truck is at 60K right now. Tough tire I have never got a flat on either set. I have been able to do any trail I want with these with no problems. If you go bigger than this your MPG will go down alot. and I hear it boggs on the freeway. My kid has 35`s on his jeep. Might look good but thats about it. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
I'm running 35" Mud Grapplers.. handles and drives like factory.. you should not have any issues running the Terra's....

·
Registered
500 Posts
Im running 35" KM2's and its fine on the highway with aftermarket UCA's. 285 is def the size you want if you want it to drive close to stock without having to rplace upper control arms (with 35"s if you want it to drive stock youd need to regear which is mucho $$)

You might not even need to do the body mount chop with 285 if you lift it, just adjust the caster.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great thats exactly the response I was hoping for! I'm not exactly new to lifted vehicles, have built and drove several over the years, its just every vehicle reacts differently, and wanted to make sure the FJ is up to par with that much rubber. Mainly because my wife drives it most of the time, so safety is the priority!

Good to hear on the body mount clearance, that would definitely be a bonus

Thanks again guys!
Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Weight is also a major concern when buying larger tires. Just a heads up that the BFG AT/KO 265/75/16 that come on the TRD package. They are "E" rated tires and weigh 54 lbs each. So if you add the Bilsteins you should be fine going up to tires that weigh up to 54 lbs. Hope this helps.

PS- these BFG AT/KO's 265/75/16's "E" rated should be good for over 100K miles with almost half the thread left, per other owners on this site.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
I'm on my second set of 305/65/R17 (essentially 33x12's) ProComp Extreme AT's. First set lasted 90,000 miles and am 50,000 miles into the second set and still a bunch of tread left. They handle really well on the highway (as you can see I drive a lot), and are pretty quiet. And they have a nice aggressive tread for off-roading.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts