Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Earlier this month I purchased the ARB Base Rack after quite a bit of back and forth over various racks, steel vs aluminum etc. One of the major drawbacks that I found about the base rack is that there is one place to get the attachments and that is ARB. Part of that is good because then you can be assured of the quality, but at the same time, availability can be challenging.

Even after weighting all of this out, I still decided to go with ARB just for the modularity of it and the fact that the rack itself is a single solid welded piece of very high quality.

So after getting this up and mounted, I set about looking for ways to mount the awning that I wanted which is probably one of the heaviest out there; the OVS 270.
I know that the typical attachment methods such as u-bolts etc would not work so after a bit of thinking about it, I decided to go with the t-slot adapters.

With the awning being so heavy, I decided to use 4 to 5 attachment points instead of the typical 3 so I purchased an additional mounting kit with the awning. I do like overkill on things like this.

I found that 3/8 inch carriage bolts fit the ARB t-slot adapter like it was made for it. Very pleased with the fit. The t-slot adapter mounts to the roof rack extremely solidly, just as I expected from ARB.

Initially I was a bit dubious on how this would all work out and if I was going to be happy with the mounting method but I am pleased to say that it fits extremely well and couldn't be any more solid if it were welded.

Just got it in yesterday and spend a good part of the evening looking at the various ways to attach everything together before deciding to go with 4 attachment points (still overkill, 2 would hold it without any doubt) but since I had the extra mounting brackets, decided to at least use 1 extra.

After mounting everything up and taking some completely unnecessary time to eat (wife insisted) it was too late to set it all up, so will be posting pictures once that happens either today in the parking lot at work or somewhere else this weekend.

Now for some pictures.

Hood Motor vehicle Wood Grey Automotive design

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Sky

edit: Yes, I know that the bolts are WAYYY too long but 1.5" is what I had. Will pull those and replace with 3/4" with washers one of these days.

edit #2: showing the awning fully open.
Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you the info. I am also looking to pull the trigger on a solid roof rack and was considering the Prisnu but with you write, I have second thoughts...
ARB is definitely first rate and I have always been happy with their products (with the exception of their skid plate instructions, but that is another story).

One thing to note if you do go with the ARB Base Rack is to put some double sided tape or similar between the each of the rack crossmembers and the mount itself. I had some intense vibrations at various speeds until I did this and now it is as quiet as the factory roof rack was.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Thanks for the write up. I too am considering the Base Rack and this helps a bit. Somewhat concerning I think that vibrations need to be mitigated with tape and can’t be accomplished by cinching up some bolts/nuts. I don’t like that.

I know too that there is a lightbar Mount/ accessory for the front of the rack, but wonder ‘What if someone wanted to add 7” round lights or similar to the front of the rack’ - can this be done or perhaps the rack is not conducive to such mounting

Apologies if I have in effect hijacked your thread... thought this would be related

Mike

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Earlier this month I purchased the ARB Base Rack after quite a bit of back and forth over various racks, steel vs aluminum etc. One of the major drawbacks that I found about the base rack is that there is one place to get the attachments and that is ARB. Part of that is good because then you can be assured of the quality, but at the same time, availability can be challenging.

Even after weighting all of this out, I still decided to go with ARB just for the modularity of it and the fact that the rack itself is a single solid welded piece of very high quality.

So after getting this up and mounted, I set about looking for ways to mount the awning that I wanted which is probably one of the heaviest out there; the OVS 270.
I know that the typical attachment methods such as u-bolts etc would not work so after a bit of thinking about it, I decided to go with the t-slot adapters.

With the awning being so heavy, I decided to use 4 to 5 attachment points instead of the typical 3 so I purchased an additional mounting kit with the awning. I do like overkill on things like this.

I found that 3/8 inch carriage bolts fit the ARB t-slot adapter like it was made for it. Very pleased with the fit. The t-slot adapter mounts to the roof rack extremely solidly, just as I expected from ARB.

Initially I was a bit dubious on how this would all work out and if I was going to be happy with the mounting method but I am pleased to say that it fits extremely well and couldn't be any more solid if it were welded.

Just got it in yesterday and spend a good part of the evening looking at the various ways to attach everything together before deciding to go with 4 attachment points (still overkill, 2 would hold it without any doubt) but since I had the extra mounting brackets, decided to at least use 1 extra.

After mounting everything up and taking some completely unnecessary time to eat (wife insisted) it was too late to set it all up, so will be posting pictures once that happens either today in the parking lot at work or somewhere else this weekend.

Now for some pictures.

View attachment 1176332

View attachment 1176333

edit: Yes, I know that the bolts are WAYYY too long but 1.5" is what I had. Will pull those and replace with 3/4" with washers one of these days.
Does ARB have a quick disconnect system for a standard RTT?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the write up. I too am considering the Base Rack and this helps a bit. Somewhat concerning I think that vibrations need to be mitigated with tape and can’t be accomplished by cinching up some bolts/nuts. I don’t like that.

I know too that there is a lightbar Mount/ accessory for the front of the rack, but wonder ‘What if someone wanted to add 7” round lights or similar to the front of the rack’ - can this be done or perhaps the rack is not conducive to such mounting

Apologies if I have in effect hijacked your thread... thought this would be related

Mike
I get what you are saying for certain, but with the way that the rack attaches, part of it has an extremely small gap between the rack and the mounting points on the rails. That is what was causing the vibration. The rack is solid as a rock without a doubt and that was what caused some of my initial confusion as to what could possibly be causing the vibrations.

It can be hard to visualize but this video shows it the best. Here you can see starting at 1:40 that rack itself mounts from the bottom of the cross members and not the structure of the rack itself. So on some installs (every vehicle doesn't seem to suffer from it) the sides of the rack are kind of free-floating just millimeters over the mounting rails and that is what causes the wind vibrations.

After using it a bit over this weekend and playing with the a couple of the attachments that I purchased, I can honestly say that this is the easiest rack by far to set up and configure in different ways. Of course I haven't had exposure to every rack out there, but this one is extremely easy to modify and change up.

Regarding the round lights, there would be not problem and I might be going that way myself to kind of accent the round headlights.

So to answer your concern about the mounting system succinctly, even after knowing what I know now, there is no way that I would want to go with a different rack.

I hope this answered your questions and concerns.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Thanks bro for the further explanation on the vibration situation. Sounds like a nice piece of kit.

Say- Have I read accurately that there are different lengths from which to choose for this rack? I’d like to get a full length up to behind the windshield. What length did you choose?
Thx
Mike

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks bro for the further explanation on the vibration situation. Sounds like a nice piece of kit.

Say- Have I read accurately that there are different lengths from which to choose for this rack? I’d like to get a full length up to behind the windshield. What length did you choose?
Thx
Mike
Yep, you have read correctly. I got the largest one that they had (84"x51") and I think that it looks the best on the FJ. If I had a vehicle with a sunroof I might have chosen differently.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I’ve got the original ARB rack that has the FJ Cruiser laser cut on the side of the mounts for it.

Is there a way to use this rack with the original mounts? Only because I like the laser cut FJ Cruiser in the sides… lol

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’ve got the original ARB rack that has the FJ Cruiser laser cut on the side of the mounts for it.

Is there a way to use this rack with the original mounts? Only because I like the laser cut FJ Cruiser in the sides… lol

I sure wish but unfortunately I have confirmed that it is not compatible. Odd thing is that I have seen pictures of the new base rack mount for for FJ and it has "FJ" laser cut as well, but the ones that I received did not. Not a deal killer but would have been pretty cool!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts