Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hello All- This looks like so much fun!

I am traveling to AR from FL this weekend and decided to see what was around the destination that was worth seeing. Once I found the Ozark's I realized that someone on this forum has had to explore the area and could give me some insight- sure enough I found the thread.

I wish I could camp out all weekend with you guys but I am only in AR picking up a trailer and heading back to FL and need to be back on Sunday.

Any "must see" spots or mildly short trails that are worth visiting but not camping?

Thanks and enjoy OAIII
Looks like you're in for a lot of rain but I can give you some suggestions for some short trips you may want to try while you're here. Depends on what part of the state you're going to. PM some info if you'd like.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I know this area real well and would like to put a group together next year for a waterfall run and would like to add to my route with some others knowledge of some cool waterfall runs in area. My knowledge of waterfalls is around Mill Creek area and the glory hole. The waterfall run in video was very hidden until recently and still somewhat hidden, but accessible to most 4 wheel drive vehicles. Carol and I would help make a good video and picture thread with everyone else helping into a story thread of trip.

Have been real busy and just found this. Training for Hillbilly Grand Prix Hare scramble season starting November 7 right now, but will follow your adventure. Please get lots of pictures and video if possible.
Here is some Arkansas trail video from last year.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I know this area real well and would like to put a group together next year for a waterfall run and would like to add to my route with some others knowledge of some cool waterfall runs in area. My knowledge of waterfalls is around Mill Creek area and the glory hole. The waterfall run in video was very hidden until recently and still somewhat hidden, but accessible to most 4 wheel drive vehicles. Carol and I would help make a good video and picture thread with everyone else helping into a story thread of trip.
If we're going to do waterfalls, let's do it when it's warm enough to get in them! :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yes I did not specify a date, but I do know that April and May are usually best for waterfalls down there and April is sketchy because it can be real cold that time of year and also it depends on the amount of rain on whether or not there will be waterfalls there because most are run off waterfalls. I will come up with a rout soon and other can add to it and make it a group decision on what rout we could do. so if you have knowledge of this area please join in and this could be an epic event. We could start at many places. one could be White Rock mountain lodge, but we would have to reserve real soon due to its popularity, or we could just start at Mill Creek campgrounds, (Big spot but dirt bike campground) or at base of the Waterfall run right out of Redding camp grounds.

White Rock Cabins and Lodge

http://www.exploretheozarksonline.com/activities/parksnature/nationalforests/ozark/pleasanthill/redding.html

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Being a tax guy, I am buried up to April 15th, but would like to go with you guys after that date.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yes I did not specify a date, but I do know that April and May are usually best for waterfalls down there and April is sketchy because it can be real cold that time of year and also it depends on the amount of rain on whether or not there will be waterfalls there because most are run off waterfalls. I will come up with a rout soon and other can add to it and make it a group decision on what rout we could do. so if you have knowledge of this area please join in and this could be an epic event. We could start at many places. one could be White Rock mountain lodge, but we would have to reserve real soon due to its popularity, or we could just start at Mill Creek campgrounds, (Big spot but dirt bike campground) or at base of the Waterfall run right out of Redding camp grounds.
I've got the standard book on Arkansas waterfalls and have been slowly working my way through it, but have not put much of a dent in it yet. All my wheeling has been in the Hot Springs/Ouachita area though, which is why I was keen to get in on this Ozark run. I've done some kayaking up in the Buffalo area, but that's the extent of my exploration really. I have had plans to explore more up there after I've obtained a nice feel for the areas closer to me, but I keep finding more here so the Ozark areas keep getting pushed back. Events like this one help me shift my focus and get up there a bit more.

Condensed version: I'm down for it, but don't have any first hand routes to add. lol

·
Registered
218 Posts
Well, I will get my route on this page and looks like we already have big intrest. We also are using the waterfall book and have been exploring this area for years and have a lot of good info.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Well, I will get my route on this page and looks like we already have big intrest. We also are using the waterfall book and have been exploring this area for years and have a lot of good info.
Start a new thread on it when you have it ironed out. I'm sure we'll be in for it so long as the dates are workable.

·
Registered
218 Posts
OK, will do. I'm experienced at organizing events being President WFO TRAILRIDERS. Will come up with a name and some potential dates and a route.

Reactions: Lethalchem

·
Registered
323 Posts
The weekend of April 8 is when the run is. Nobody seems to use the forum anymore, everything is on Facebook which sucks. I can't stand Facebook but if want to get in on runs you have to use it. Here is the info from Facebook. It's on Arklatex site on Facebook. Here is the address we are meeting at. We will have breakfast there and then head out. Hopefully this helps.
Ozark adventure III meeting at 8 am
Fergusons country store
121-ar 333
ST joe ar 72675

·
Registered
323 Posts
I live in Rogers Ar and anyone ever wants to hook up and go wheelin please hit me up. I'm always ready to go wheelin. :rocker:

101 - 113 of 113 Posts