Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here she is, old but new to me and with a bit of work required but all in all it should be a fun rig.

I am going to try and pace myself a bit on this one....first thing is to take care of some of the original owners stuff like de-stickering it.
Then I plan to enlist Travis of Safari Pacific to help me install 4 bucket seats.
Then of course a fridge is a survival item here in the desert southwest.
And then we will see what I NEED vs what I WANT.

Oh and this rig will be staying here in the US with my older son Nathan when we move to Australia next year. But at least this way I get to practice shifting with my left hand :)

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
I see those all over down here. Great expedition trucks. Like the name too. I tell people I work in Oz and they look at me and ask if its at the end of the yellow brick road...:rofl:

I drive by a Central 4x4 shop just about once a week and fight the urge to spend. I would get that bumper that hold two spares- very trick.

The center spot light is so Aussie!! Love it

Keep us posted.

Cheers,

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
:werd:
I like that thing a lot. How about some more pictures, interior?

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Sawheet find! I've always wanted one...

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First day of the build....and before I get to the photos I gotta say that working with Travis of Safari Pacific is a hoot...of course he is a friend but this is a paying gig. Now that means that I get to toss in my ideas and he gets to tell me when I am flying off the deep end :)

I have always said that one of the first thing I would do with any new rig would be a fridge, and true to my word here is my National Luna from Equipt trying out a possible location.

Next on the list was yanking the very old & tired factory seats and start figuring out where & how to install 4 new bucket seats.

Here is Travis testing out backseat height, of course it will be forward facing.

Next is testing out the front seat setup.

Once Travis had all his measurements down it was quick & easy for him to work out the materials list and have a design worked out.

That meant it was time for me to get home and start on some interior teardown and cleaning.
There is a bunch of room to work with and before I fill it up I am thinking of some insulation/sound deadening layers....any thoughts/experiences out there???

Actually pretty clean under the floor mats and other than some surface rust all is well.

Look at all that space to work with inside the walls & doors.

It is always good to get the family involved and here is my son Martin lending a hand.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Man, thats gonna be an awesome ride.
I have always wanted a RHD Troopie for expeditions.
Good find on that.
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Travis of Safari Pacific here in Phoenix is great to work with. Not only does he do create fab work but he is willing to make changes along the way as we work out what will work.

Changing seats & frames is a perfect example of needing to mock up things and see how they feel.
We got the front seats in and best of all were able to use the factory bolt holes instead of drilling anything new. This gives me a nice fuzzy feeling.
As an amputee I needed the factory seat raised up a bit to get a better angle on the clutch which is what I bang on with my prosthetic.

On the passenger side the factory puts in a 2 person bench...well maybe 1 adult and 1 stickfigure...but again I wanted to use the factory welded in nuts and Travis was able to make that happen. Nice thing is I now have something to build my center console off of.

The back seats were a tougher order:
1) I wanted a center pass thru to access the back without getting out of the rig or as an amputee having to crawl.
2) My 20 yr son & 13 yr old son need leg room which means stadium style seating.
3) The troopie body has a high roof which means more space to play with.
4) I wanted to use the factory bolt holes again.
After I saw the frames Travis built I also realized I can put drawers under each seat to give me secure storage.

And here is Travis hard at work not getting mad at the "client" (that is me) for not stopping with questions & suggestions :) I wonder that he doesn't charge double when I am there in the way!

Next up is mocking up the rear storage setup....

·
Premium Member
16,935 Posts
Nice ride! Good luck with the build.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One of the great things about summertime is my son & I have been able to tackle some fun mods on the Troopie getting it ready for getting into the dirt.

Most kids I hear about these days are more into computers than cars, into online games instead of how things work in the real world and since my younger son is interesting in becoming an engineer I figured taking the time to teach while we did the mods would help us both (I get free labor out of the deal :)

Huge thanks to Travis of Safari Pacific for building the custom dual battery tray, a very nice dead pedal for my fake leg and installing the Extreme Outback Air compressor setup under the rear doors.

Here are some pics other mods....

First off I got some great red LED lights from Travis & combined those with white LEDS I had to give me light on each rear door and inside the rear.

Using the National Luna Dual Battery Kit from Equipt gave me plenty of cable to run a heavy line to the back which will power the Extreme Outback compressor and a fuse block for lots of other goodies.....most important will be the National Luna Fridge!
Oh and the relay is for a reverse light I had laying around.

And that free labor I mentioned comes in real handy when it comes to teaching about the importance of prep work before applying sound deadener & insulation :)

Those LED lights are gonna work great shinning down on our new rear door panels with pockets & drop tables...here you can see Martin building away at our first attempt.

Some stuff has just been silly fun, like finding a use for this long LED string, it makes a great under hood light.

And that killer nice heavy duty dual battery tray combined with the compact Odyssey batteries (wired up perfectly with the NL kit) means we had room to add an ammo can for storage of something, we just don't know what yet :)

Some projects had been more for teaching than anything, like painting the grill. Sure it shows off the "diesel" well :) but it was a chance to teach about prep/paint on a small scale before we get to the inside of the rig.

I will try to snap some photos of the air compressor mount, spring shackles and other stuff Travis did, all top notch!

Upcoming....well that is a long list but we are having fun!

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Very very nice! Looks like she'll be a beast when she's finished! Looking good man.

·
Kokopelli Moderator
3,236 Posts
Subscribed! This should be a GREAT thread to read. Congrats, Lance, on the Troopie! :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
Woohoo ! Diesel Land Cruiser in da house. :rocker:

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
you guys are too funny...
it is a blast how simple this rig is....the perfect teaching tool as it is all basics and zero electronics.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts