Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying I'm a computer & network guy by trade, and I'm working on learning what I can to be a more self-sufficient FJ owner. As in - trying to fix what I can, when I can, on my own, without taking Helios up to a dealer for work.

That said, I'm getting the dreaded xmas tree lights. I put a code reader on, and I see that I'm getting the P0051 diagnostic code. Fine, no sweat, looks like something in the O2 sensor circuit.

I'm going to check the relay under the hood first, and see if that solves the problem. Hopefully it will.

Looking back at this thread, there is some good information in there about replacing the sensors after they get old anyway. The previous owner(s) of my truck definitely had it on the beach, to the point that I've found sand jammed into nearly every nook and cranny in the passenger compartment, and my wheels are blistering from the salt corrosion. Based on that, and with 105K miles on my FJ, it's maybe time to think about replacing the sensors at some point perhaps.

Here's where I'm asking for a second pair of eyes... on the Advanced Auto Parts site, there are several different version of "oxygen sensors" for the 2007 FJ Cruiser. I'm not sure which one(s) I need. Looking JUST at the Denso units, there's a downstream right, a downstream left, and a downstream right/downstream left sensor. There's a rear left unit, less expensive than the "downstream" units.

I just want to make sure I get what I need if I take on this project.

I don't have a lot (any) other FJ owners around here that I know of who like to work on their trucks, so I'm looking to this group of folks to point me in the right direction please.

Thank you!

Sean

·
Registered
1 Posts
You might already have this information but this is taken from the FJ manual in section ES–83.

DTC P0051 corresponds to Oxygen (A/F) Sensor Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 2 Sensor 1)

Based on the parts list you should be after 90980–10869 (sensor 1) which is common between both banks.

The manual does list the following reasons for the fault, so it might not just be the sensor:
- Open in A/F sensor heater circuit
- A/F sensor heater
- A/F sensor heater relay
- ECM

Hope it helps, interested to find out whether it really was the sensor. If you haven't downloaded the manual, it's definitely worth doing if you're going to take on the FJ maintenance work.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts