Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
P0430 Code Toyota of Costa Mesa

I took my 07 FJ twith less than 29K miles to Toyota of Costa Mesa this morning for the second time to deal with this code.

A couple of months ago they said that it could be casued by my installing non-stock plugs. I had put in E3's E3.86 to see if I would get improved performance. The service department said that these might be the casue. They wanted $186 (plugs included) to install new plugs. I told them I would install the new plugs myself. It took about .45 hours.

Error codes came on again in about 2 days. I then installed Autolite APP5325's. Error codes came on again in about 2 days. Neither plug made any difference. In both cases my car ran fine.

This morning they told me that this too was the wrong plug for the car. E3 and Autolite list these plugs as acceptle replacements.

My car is at the dealer now. They are changing plugs and cleaning the MAF. I did that myself months ago. They are also cleaning and vaccuming something else. I was so upset I forgot what the exact name was. The cost for this is $483. So as it stands this might or might not work. It cost $483 of which there is less than $40 in parts.

This whole thing does not sound right to me. Any thoughts?

Thanks, SteveB

·
Registered
491 Posts
they are idiots.

They should Active test the sensors, and see if its a sensor or cat thats bad. not to hard to figure out.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Re: P0430 Code Toyota of Costa Mesa

I took my 07 FJ twith less than 29K miles to Toyota of Costa Mesa this morning for the second time to deal with this code.

A couple of months ago they said that it could be casued by my installing non-stock plugs. I had put in E3's E3.86 to see if I would get improved performance. The service department said that these might be the casue. They wanted $186 (plugs included) to install new plugs. I told them I would install the new plugs myself. It took about .45 hours.

Error codes came on again in about 2 days. I then installed Autolite APP5325's. Error codes came on again in about 2 days. Neither plug made any difference. In both cases my car ran fine.

This morning they told me that this too was the wrong plug for the car. E3 and Autolite list these plugs as acceptle replacements.

My car is at the dealer now. They are changing plugs and cleaning the MAF. I did that myself months ago. They are also cleaning and vaccuming something else. I was so upset I forgot what the exact name was. The cost for this is $483. So as it stands this might or might not work. It cost $483 of which there is less than $40 in parts.

This whole thing does not sound right to me. Any thoughts?

Thanks, SteveB
I agree with Toyota Tech, the people you are dealing with are idiots. A 430 code is the computer thinking that the catalytic converters aren't working. This can be because they have actually failed or there is a problem in the oxygen sensor system (bad sensor/wire) or possibly a temperature sensor problem which is causing the engine to run open loop and rich (that can overheat the cats). P0429 is one side of the engine and P0430 is the other (I forget which is which). Regardless your spark plugs didn't cause this and because it is emissions systems related it is covered under a Federally mandated warranty till 80k. The real fix is most likely going to be replacing the oxygen sensor and cat on the affected side. This is pretty easy for the dealer to do once they have the parts. I would seriously consider taking it somewhere else since the morons you've been working with can't even read the code reader or manual. The repair shouldn't cost you a dime unless you have modified you exhaust system. If you want to read more do a search for P0430 and several threads will come up. Get this done under warranty because the cats are really expensive.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Good news. The dealer did some tests and replaced the plugs last week. The same
P0430 code appeared after about 5 days(I have a Scangage). They told me today that the Cat is defective and that they will replace it free under warranty. The cat is to be installed tomorrow. I hope this is the end of the issue. I'm happy that the dealer is now making a serious attempt to solve the problem.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Thats is great news. I have that code and also the P0420 code.

Before I take it in, Im wondering if if I should take of the CAI. Just dont want them to say, its because you put that on, so it aint covered.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Knowing what I know now, I would remove it. It looks like it is a judgement call on the part of the dealer. On my first service report they noted that I "modified" the car by changing plugs! They also noted that it may void my warranty. I think that was a CYA statement just in case. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
They ought to refund your money for the previous work since it was not the problem!!

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
BTW it's probably just a bad sensor. Had the problem myself as well as a few other FJ'rs in SoCal. 12 dollar part. Makes me sick to think about how much they charge, or even bill to warranty.

·
Premium Member
6,519 Posts
BTW it's probably just a bad sensor. Had the problem myself as well as a few other FJ'rs in SoCal. 12 dollar part. Makes me sick to think about how much they charge, or even bill to warranty.
What part on an FJ is only $12?

DEWPFO

·
Registered
491 Posts
its gonna suck when they replace the cat,and then you have to bring it back in, for the 02 sensor. Thats 3 times for the same thing, thats approaching the lemon law.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Got code for a O2 sensor, replaced it the check engine light went off but came back on after driving for 50 miles, now it gives me a P0430 catalytic converter, even tho u replaced them 4 months ago. Anyone alese have this issue

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts