Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My fj 2017 model,I done the injector cleaning and after that if we stop the car and start after 3 hours its take long time to start,its crank but not start,second try it will start.

error code shows P1604 ,looking for advise.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Most likely your 'cleaning' resulted in an injector that is leaking and bleeds down the fuel pressure after engine shutdown.

Go back and check for any leakage anywhere in any of the fuel connections to the injectors. If none is found, then most likely an injector is leaking fuel into one of the cylinders.

The P1604 OBD code indicates that the engine is cranking for an abnormally long time before it actually starts running.

What caused you to "clean the injectors", and what type of cleaning process did you use?

Is the fuel in your area subject to contamination, and does your FJ have the replaceable fine fuel filter in the engine bay, on the drivers side of the fender liner?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,The main suspect is fuel injector,because the problem started after injector cleaning,I done the cleaning again (opened and check) with some more professional garage but they reply me that injectors are fine there is no any leakages.

But after the second cleaning the car was fine for two days,but again the problem is started.

my area fuel not much contaminated but I feel some mileage drop so done this cleaning.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Again, does your FJ have the replaceable fine fuel filter in the engine bay, mounted on the drivers side fender liner?

If cleaning the injectors a 2nd time immediately resulted in elimination of the starting problem, but it returned again several days later, that's a strong indication that you have some type of contamination circulating in the fuel that is preventing an injector from fully closing, causing a bleed down of fuel pressure after the engine stops.

To get instant starting, there must be residual pressure in the fuel manifold after the engine stops.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK,there is fuel filter in my Fj,

As per you what is the solution to make it clear?here some mechanics says need to change all the injectors,but I am confused after changing all injectors again if problem comes.??
As per your assumptions what may be the root cause,and what need to be changed.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Your descriptions of the problem seem to be conflicting.

In post #1 you said "after 3 hours its take long time to start,its crank but not start".

In post # you said "in the morning the first start there is no issue".

I assume that the first start in the morning is after it has been sitting for at least 3 hours?

After sitting for several hours since it was running, if the engine doesn't crank and start almost instantly the first thing to suspect is that during the time the engine was shut off, fuel pressure in the fuel system was lost due to a leak somewhere.

The fuel pump is turned on only when the engine starts cranking, and it takes some amount of time to re-establish full fuel pressure if the pressure was lost because of a leak.

Since the problem seems to come and go with your attempts at cleaning the fuel injectors, the first place to look would be a leaking fuel injector.

What process was used to "clean" the fuel injectors? Were the injectors removed from the engine and individually cleaned with a commercial fuel injector cleaning machine, or was a fuel-injection system cleaning solvent added to the gas tank?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your descriptions of the problem seem to be conflicting.

In post #1 you said "after 3 hours its take long time to start,its crank but not start".

In post # you said "in the morning the first start there is no issue".

I assume that the first start in the morning is after it has been sitting for at least 3 hours?

After sitting for several hours since it was running, if the engine doesn't crank and start almost instantly the first thing to suspect is that during the time the engine was shut off, fuel pressure in the fuel system was lost due to a leak somewhere.

The fuel pump is turned on only when the engine starts cranking, and it takes some amount of time to re-establish full fuel pressure if the pressure was lost because of a leak.

Since the problem seems to come and go with your attempts at cleaning the fuel injectors, the first place to look would be a leaking fuel injector.

What process was used to "clean" the fuel injectors? Were the injectors removed from the engine and individually cleaned with a commercial fuel injector cleaning machine, or was a fuel-injection system cleaning solvent added to the gas tank?
Again, does your FJ have the replaceable fine fuel filter in the engine bay, mounted on the drivers side fender liner?

If cleaning the injectors a 2nd time immediately resulted in elimination of the starting problem, but it returned again several days later, that's a strong indication that you have some type of contamination circulating in the fuel that is preventing an injector from fully closing, causing a bleed down of fuel pressure after the engine stops.

To get instant starting, there must be residual pressure in the fuel manifold after the engine stops.
Yes I done cleaning with unplugged injectors and cleaned commercially.
I mean to say that example if in the night I stop several hours then start in the morning there is instant start no issue at all, even if we stop like 10 minutes and start there is no issue. But we stop like more than an hour or 3 -4 hour time this starting issue is happen. But it getting worse after some days of my first cleaning like every 30 minutes if we stop and start there is problem.

now after my seconed cleaning it is again changed to 1-3 hours.but may be after some days it will be worsening and happening every short time ofstart.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

You are correct there is some contamination in the fuel line, I again opened the fuel injectors an checked for leaking but nothing found after that I put the STP fuel system cleaner which we can buy here within the first drive itself the problem is solved..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi @FJtest I need your help,

please check above message.I explained after 2 nd time of cleaning the car was fine for two days and the problem is again started.

now If I put the fuel system cleaner STP the car is fine for 3000 km but after that again problem.

now I done third time fuel injector leaking check and they said me one injector is leak and I have replaced that along with spark plugs.
It was replaced brfore 20000 km but it is damaged .
now for one day it is okay and again the issue is started.

please note I have replaced fuel filter new one,and fuel pressure regulator also. But it couldn’t solve my issue.you have said me that some contamination is running in my fuel line and how to check that and eremove the contamination pls help.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
You have the replaceable fuel filter on the driver's side of the engine bay?

If so, do you still have the fuel filter that you recently replaced? If so, carefully cut it open and examine the filter element to see if there is any debris present, and if so, what kind of debris it is (rust? sand? some kind of sludgy muck? something else?).

Otherwise, I think you will have to drop the fuel tank, discard whatever fuel is in it, rinse it out with clean gasoline, and remove the fuel pump and verify that nothing is restricting the pump pick-up screen.

Then, reinstall the fuel pump, reinstall the fuel tank, add 2-3 gallons of gasoline that's known to be absolutely clean and free from water or diesel fuel contamination, and see if the engine starts and runs normally.

Your mechanic previously verified that BOTH fuel pressure and delivery volume were correct?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi,
Thanks for your advise, I will check the possibilities.
My mechanic dosent verified the pressure ,he is in strong suspect that the problem is becaue of the fuel injecter leakage because my car issue is started after I cleaned the fuel injectors from other mechanic.also he checked the spark plug and said there is over flow of fuel in spark plugs
And he said we will replace the full fuel injectors but I Inform him to check the injectors again and we send to some more professional team to check the injectors.
Their report shows that 5 injectors pressure is low and we can repair that but one injector is over pressure and leaking too, need to replace it.I done as per their advice and I thought the problem will be solved but its not.

I have strong evidence that I put the stp fuel system cleaner 2 times and car was in perfect condition for 3000 km both the times,so I still think there is some contamination is circulating with the fuel.
there is any other way to clean that contaminations?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts