Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

181 - 194 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
The paint on my vent cowl ( the piece by the bottom of the windshield ) chips if I look at it crosseyed. About 9 chips there now. Right by the plastic inserts.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My Voodoo blue has been chipping since about 10k miles. i took it in at 27k and the dealer said they would paint the pillars. i have not been back. it is all over the vehicle now. I have 54k miles. This is by far the worst paint on any car I have ever owned!!!!!!!!!! I'm in for the class action suit!!!! I had a 99 jeep wrangler with 109k and no chipping at all!!!! They argue that the verticle front is why windshields and paint have problems. I say BS. I have it on the sides and back too. no offroading!!! just highway miles mostly going to florida and back to see my kids. Lets get them to Effing fix this sh#t!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know this post is quite old, but for those of you still reading. My truck has had 2 chips on it and I hadn't taken it off road yet at that point.

I agree totally that Toyota should have to fix the problem. My truck is less than 1 year and just 10k. A new vehicle should not chip like this whether we take it off road or not. I love my truck, but don't feel I should pay to have it fixed already. At least if it got messed up doing something radical I could be proud of it, but to say it is chipping because I simply drive it really sucks.

Keep the rubber side down!

·
Banned
126 Posts
What exactly did you guys expect from toyota? a good quality product?

·
Registered
911 Posts
So the EPA also has an authority on other countries??, because i far as i know all of the FJ's are assembled and painted in Japan.

i am also sick of having to pay 30 grand for a nice rig and have youre paint coming off. i did got my touch up paint and still looks ugly.

Yes I do. They actually regulate what chemicals which can and can't be used in paint in the Auto industry. This is why all paints since about 1999 or 2000 have to be water based not lacquer based, which is harmful to the enviroment.. This is why the FJ and all other vehicles are more prone to rock chips than they use to be.. And then there is the fact that we are just a big box on top of a box. Toyota announced this at that time to the dealers and told them what would happen. All Manafactures use a water based paint now which is very thin and easy to chip.

This is why I say, vote the folks out of office who are the porblem, it isn't Toyota's fault or any other Auto manafacture. Jeep has the same problem with chiping and the window chiping and breaking. It is the design of the vehicle being a big box on top of a box. Square's don't deflect rocks and other things they absorb them, thus rock chips.

This is from Automotive Paint Tec News

NEWS Bulletin(January 1,2008) Regulations force dealerships to look at alternate repair options. OSHA and EPA are now “cracking” down on bodyshop product use for environmental reasons. Mobile spray operators are now listed as part of a national law looking to decrease HAPs ( Hazardous Air Pollutants) and will share fines with the dealership property owner. Eco-friendly products are the solution and government agencies are increasing public awareness to stop the uneccesary violations. For uv clearcoat, uv paint products and new programs call 866-246-3777 or visit www.aquaphaseauato.com

Here is the link to the EPA website with the Act which is why the paint is the way it is..

National Volatile Organic Compound Emission Standards for Automobile Refinish Coatings | Federal Register Environmental Documents | USEPA

Now after reading all of this, you will be there for days. This is why Toyota and all the manafacutres have to use thin paints which chip easy and thus cause the problem you are all talking about..

The fact is that Toyota (and all Auto Manafactures) have no choice but to do so and you can't sue over what govt regs they follow.. The only thing you can do is vote out the Bio-LIBS who make the laws and then we can fix this problem and make it better for future owners of the FJ. Face it we are F$%^ed with the paint we have now, and there is nothing we can do about it.

Sueing Toyota will only cause you to spend your money and loose.

I'll say it again, we are driving a Box on Top of a Box with thin paint, there is nothing you can do about it.

The choices are:
Change the Rules
Change the Vehicle (I'll own mine till It or I die)
Or Repaint the vehicle with a harder paint at you cost.

Hope this helps explain all and helps everyone understand that Toyota isn't at fault, Your GOVT is...

:cheers:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've seen paint chips threads for months, and never clicked on one because it wasn't interesting to me. That is, until this weekend when I washed my car. I was cleaning off sap when I noticed many paint chips on my hood.

My FJ is a sandstorm. It seems the color beneath is black, not white. I bought it in December of 2007. It has 13,000 miles. I have been off road, but it's not like I was in a gravel pit and rocks were raining down on my hood. Regardless of the boxy aerodynamics of the FJ, I don't see how the paint on the hood is chipping.

In 34 years, I've never seen a new car chip like this. I don't think I've ever seen any car chip like this.

Yes, I realize it's an off road truck. I even have an off road dent I don't fix. No, I'm not going to call Toyota or sue them. But still, it's a problem. What if it speaks to the quality of something else, such as rust protectant underneath?

Dork flamers aside, I don't see how anyone can say this isn't an issue. Look at http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/18583-paint-chips-12.html#post378641

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am new to this thread. I found it this morning after visiting my local dealer. I was at my local Toyota dealer this morning for and oil change/tire rotation he asked how I like my ride and i told him i love it minus 1 thing. He said let me guess the windshield. I said no I purcahsed the vehicle in Nov of 2007 and have the original windshield with one small chip, but look at the passenger side next to the winsheild and you will find around 50 paint chips on the one column an directly under the windshield. I asked if he was aware of this being an issue, he wasn't. I then asked if he looked at the used VB FJ that was on their lot for sale that looked very similar to mine with several chips, he hadn't. He offered up the suggestion that rock chips are part of life and i agreed but was amazed at the amount and the fact that none of the might rocks that created over 50 chips on one side of my vehicle have yet to break or cause more cracks in my windshield. That is when the conversation pretty much ended. I then found this thread and proceeded to call Toyota customer care and like many of you where told that this was a first and they where not aware of any issues. My previous vehicle was a "pos" ford explorer that drove the exact same roads i drive today and after 3 years had less than 10% of the chips i have had in my Black Cherry FJ in less than one year. My FJ has been off road 1 time for less than an hour. Been trying to get to Moab but haven't found the time. Obvious their is an issue. Not a sue happy fan, however Toyota needs to admit the issue and create some type of solution.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
The fact of the matter is Toyota cant and wont repaint our trucks so we all need to live with it. They have the sale and couldnt care less if they chip. The paint may suck but the car will last a long time. I say start saving for a new paint job.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The fact of the matter is Toyota cant and wont repaint our trucks so we all need to live with it. They have the sale and couldnt care less if they chip. The paint may suck but the car will last a long time. I say start saving for a new paint job.
I'm not too worried about the paint chips. I have an off road dent that I'm not worried about fixing either.

Still, this is a problem and it hasn't happened to any other car I've owned, either new or used. The paint chipping on the FJ is excessive. I am hoping it is not a sign of anything else, like prone to rust or anything disasterous.

·
Registered
2 Posts
okay, let the flaming begin, I don't care anymore.

I love the truck, the looks, the way it drives, etc. etc. etc., but I am not happy with the paint chipping.

This is not my daily driver, and has never been off road, but I am seeing a substantial amount of chips in the paint. Not only the front and a pillars, but also the side of the vehicle.

The dealership was helpful and talked to Toyota, but they said they would only paint the a pillars, and the rest was tough luck. I called Toyota and got ahold of Alonzo Scates in the customer service who was a total tool and hung up on me. Yes, I'm calling this customer disservice rep out. After calling back again, I got ahold of a nice young lady who was very helpful and took my information. I still hope it will be taken care of, but I'm wondering how many others out there are willing to pursue this thing if needs be.

People wanting to flame me can go ahead an bite me at this point as I was/am happy enough with the car (except for this) to buy my wife one as she has taken an interest in it and is up for a new car. This will definately queer the deal if it is not taken care of.

I want to gauge interest in a class action if needed in order to get Toyota to remedy this situation. I really don't want to get rid of it, but I will if I need to.
2007 FJ Yellow and paint crap! Whole hood is pealing took it in to local dealers and they said couldn't do anything about it. have talked to a couple of paint & body shops and they laugh and said they have seen several with the same problem. Would love to see a class action suit. Cant afford the 5K to get a new paint job.

181 - 194 of 194 Posts