Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

141 - 160 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Here is an update. Toyota has said that there is no problem with the paint, and that I am indeed the only one that has called in to report any problem. Out of the kindness of their hearts, they are going to repaint the A-pillars as "goodwill" since there really is no problem with the paint. That is their final say, and they will do no more.

I also found out that Toyota corporate and in particular the CEO is all amish as they have no phones, so there are no numbers available.

The only solution is to shut up, take the charity A-pillar paint job, and be a nice little consumer and speak no more ill of Toyota. Oh, I could consult the back of the owner's manual and start arbitration based on lemon laws, but for it to be under the lemon law, it would have to be a defect fixed and fixed again. Problem is they will not paint it in the first place, so they have perfect cover on this.

If anyone has the super secret corporate phone numbers they can provide, that would be appreciated. I just want to have my vehicle made right. Not interested in suing really, just want to be taken care of by the legendary Toyota Customer Service.

·
Registered
153 Posts
No Chipping Here, HOWEVER I just do not understand all the people that want to run to a class action lawsuit. Do you not understand what a tremendous waste of time that is. You cause a society that makes lawyers richer and typically does not affect the companies at all except taking them away from the time that they need to dedicate to make their vehicles better. A first run model always has certain problems. There is no way around it, wait until the next model comes out and if you still like that car, buy that, JUST STOP THE INCESSANT GRIPPING!!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I had one chip in the first couple weeks of driving it. I think the paint comes from the factory not fully cured, after awhile it hardens up. My chip happened in April '06 - I got one of the first ones. I recall folks saying Toyota paint was soft and it happens on all their vehicles.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Everyone knows blue is a chemically inferior color. :slant:

Or maybe the white primer makes chips stand out more.
White primer? Consider yourself lucky. Almost all of my chips are down to bare metal and rusting. My touch up paint is on order. I already talked to my Toyota body shop that did the repairs after my accident. They are interested in the paint job as well. Both the repaint (Toyota paint) and OEM stuff has paid the price. The paint job is just not holding up as I expected in comparison to my previous vehicle. I expect some well earned chips but not this many bare metal ones at just over 10k miles. I understand that this is my Toy so I know in a few years I'll refresh the paint but in the mean time I do not want to order touch up paint by the bucket. Any tips on touch ups from the pros out there?

·
Registered
60 Posts
One chip for me on the pillar on day one....I'm pissed it happened but I don't think it's Toyota fault yet. I think I might put some 3M guard material in mine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'd be interested. Got quite a few chips already, including on the side of the body where they don't typically develop. 5,000 miles.
Do not accept their Bull **** Contact Fazio And Micheletti you can find their # in several threads or on the net. My 1 day old TRD lost $4,000 worth of paint and a windshield from a Ice storm in Feb. Step-up all of you and make the call. Toyota told me the same thing, "I am the only personn to ever report paint and windshield problems. I just lost my 2nd windshield at 8,400 miles. F^&# them, do the right thing. Integrity is not a corporate characteristic but should be an individual's.
Best Regards,
LT1
United Staes Army
Infantry

·
Registered
48 Posts
No Chipping Here, HOWEVER I just do not understand all the people that want to run to a class action lawsuit. Do you not understand what a tremendous waste of time that is. You cause a society that makes lawyers richer and typically does not affect the companies at all except taking them away from the time that they need to dedicate to make their vehicles better. A first run model always has certain problems. There is no way around it, wait until the next model comes out and if you still like that car, buy that, JUST STOP THE INCESSANT GRIPPING!!!
Great thinking Liberal,

What about the $8,000 worth of claims on a vehicle with less than 8,000 miles. Do you think Insurance companies are going to not pass the cost on to you and everybody that owns a FJ. When a company lies and covertly minipulates you and you chalk it up to a first year run vehicle you display a lack of spine. Do you think Toyota is working right now to make your next years model better? Only if it does not cost them any more than it did to produce this POS which I spent $35,000 on. I know for a fact what they have done is criminal, they deliberatly produced a weak windshield to save on cost and covered their vehicles with 60% less paint. I did not see that in the brochure but their market share has definetly done well. I am know fan of scum-bag lawyers but you let me know when you get off your couch and make a difference. The Law Firm who will represent the plaintiffs has done remarkable things. They made a difference for thousands of Honda Element owners. They want to hear from all of you that have had problems, go to their websight or their thread in our forum; Fazio and Michiletti. Let us all know when you do the right thing or perhaps you work for Toyota Management, so in that case your bias and ignorrance might be our mistake and just like Toyota you represent alterior motives.

LT1
United States Army
Infantry

·
Registered
48 Posts
I baby mine, haven't really been off road, and my A-Pillars, hood, fenders, and even doors have enough chips to ruin my wash day. I pointed it out to my dealer at my 10K oil change and they basically said, "yep, those are rock chips, not our problem." I filed a complaint with Toyota, and while they were polite enough, I was basically given a case number and told to jump. If they're being hounded about this issue, everyone is playing dumb around here. Sign me up for this suit and F the flamers. Off road vehicle or no... if chips aren't earned on a trail, I don't want to see em.

Black Cherry,
Toyota has told us all the same BS. They have neverhad a report of any damage with paint or windshields. Contact Fazio and Michiletti; they will be handling the class action lawsuit and already have agreat deal of evidence that would make you violent. My buddy is A Toyota Master Tech and has told me since 2005 the crap that Toyota has pulled to lower their costs thus to increase their Market Share would again make you violent. I spent $35,000 for a TRD with about $5,000 in extras and an useless 100,000 mile warranty.
Give me a shout if you want to compare notes.

LT1
United States Army
Infantry

·
Registered
446 Posts
Black Cherry,
Toyota has told us all the same BS. They have neverhad a report of any damage with paint or windshields. Contact Fazio and Michiletti; they will be handling the class action lawsuit and already have agreat deal of evidence that would make you violent. My buddy is A Toyota Master Tech and has told me since 2005 the crap that Toyota has pulled to lower their costs thus to increase their Market Share would again make you violent. I spent $35,000 for a TRD with about $5,000 in extras and an useless 100,000 mile warranty.
Give me a shout if you want to compare notes.

LT1
United States Army
Infantry
I called and spoke with Toyota about this
They advised me to bring it to the dealer for them to look at
She gave me a case number

Wgeb everyone calls they should get a case number

We could then post them here and then maybe one of the admins can call Toyota and give them ALL the case numbers of people who Toyota says do not have a problem with their paint

Maybe we will get somewhere then!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I have a tiny chip on my left fender...and a scuff mark from me scraping ice off the hood this winter.
I also had a nail in my tire one day , and 3 birds were sitting on my roof rack and one took a dump. Then my dogs made snot marks all over my windows and shed on my seats . I rubbed my tires on a curb and they have marks on them . I dropped a cigarette on the floor and it melted the mat a little ....I hit my head on the overhead grab handle one day , it didnt hurt , but now Im not sleeping peacefully and I had some diareah this morning.
Theres a bunch of other stuff I can think of but maybe Ill get a lawyer to help me think of bull**** reasons to sue large corporations and annoy the crap out of everyone.
Because thats what theyre good at....What a bunch of pansy ass crap this is!!!!:fu:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Interesting everyone seems to be having these types of problems. Maybe it is a model year issue. For me, I have 10K miles, 8K of which is all offroad and don't have the problem's described here. While trail riding, Ive witnessed hand grenade size rocks deflecting off of my windshield while driving 50+ miles per hour without a single chip. Having had a hummer h1, I can definately say that my FJ has handled windshield chips much better. As far as the paint chipping, my opinion is that its nothing more than I would have expected given how I drive the vehicle. Given the amount of rocks I hear flying off of my sheet metal and windshield, Ive been quite surprised I didn't have more damage.

Maybe it's really a problem or maybe it's not but I can say how do you expect a paint job to compare to other XUV's costing 10K more when what you paid was significantly less. Given that I paid less than 30K for mine, I have no complaints. I love the FJ and couldn't think of another car I would want.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Interesting everyone seems to be having these types of problems. Maybe it is a model year issue. For me, I have 10K miles, 8K of which is all offroad and don't have the problem's described here. While trail riding, Ive witnessed hand grenade size rocks deflecting off of my windshield while driving 50+ miles per hour without a single chip. Having had a hummer h1, I can definately say that my FJ has handled windshield chips much better. As far as the paint chipping, my opinion is that its nothing more than I would have expected given how I drive the vehicle. Given the amount of rocks I hear flying off of my sheet metal and windshield, Ive been quite surprised I didn't have more damage.

Maybe it's really a problem or maybe it's not but I can say how do you expect a paint job to compare to other XUV's costing 10K more when what you paid was significantly less. Given that I paid less than 30K for mine, I have no complaints. I love the FJ and couldn't think of another car I would want.
I agree Shadow , I owned a Porsche 911 , one of the most overpriced (but an extreme high quality car)....That car had many many nicks and chips on its hood ....and it never offroaded.
Its a fu9kin car...its paint...it aint bulletproof.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Max,

Agreed. It bugs me too. Maybe there is an issue with some cars, but I think the reality is that there maybe a few vehicles that truely do have issues, and then there is the group who is just looking for a reason sue someone.

I personally will support those that are having problems, but for those that are just trying to get one off, get lost. In the end, we are the ones who suffer cause of your BS lawsuits. The cost is always deferred to the customer.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Personally, I think the only issue with the paint is one all cars now share: the solvents are out and the water is in. When you have a new vehicle and the paint gets chipped up it sucks, and the Internet gives us ample opportunity to moan about how much it sucks.

For my part, I'm scheduled to get 3M film placed on the vulnerable parts this Wed. Till then I am keeping it off the highway.

Max,

Agreed. It bugs me too. Maybe there is an issue with some cars, but I think the reality is that there maybe a few vehicles that truely do have issues, and then there is the group who is just looking for a reason sue someone.

I personally will support those that are having problems, but for those that are just trying to get one off, get lost. In the end, we are the ones who suffer cause of your BS lawsuits. The cost is always deferred to the customer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've had my FJ since January, I have about 5,000 miles, and has been chipping since the first wee!! Never been off road. It is the one thing I'm not crazy about either (other that the radio, but that may be user error). My sales guy did say to bring it in, but I haven't gotten there yet--really, what are they gonna do?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've had my FJ since January, I have about 5,000 miles, and has been chipping since the first week!! Never been off road. It is the one thing I'm not crazy about either (other that the radio, but that may be user error). My sales guy did say to bring it in, but I haven't gotten there yet--really, what are they gonna do?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I have a tiny chip on my left fender...and a scuff mark from me scraping ice off the hood this winter.
I also had a nail in my tire one day , and 3 birds were sitting on my roof rack and one took a dump. Then my dogs made snot marks all over my windows and shed on my seats . I rubbed my tires on a curb and they have marks on them . I dropped a cigarette on the floor and it melted the mat a little ....I hit my head on the overhead grab handle one day , it didnt hurt , but now Im not sleeping peacefully and I had some diareah this morning.
Theres a bunch of other stuff I can think of but maybe Ill get a lawyer to help me think of bull**** reasons to sue large corporations and annoy the crap out of everyone.
Because thats what theyre good at....What a bunch of pansy ass crap this is!!!!:fu:
X10!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
i have a trd edition that i bought in nov. today i noticed 40 to 50 white spots developing on the hood and roof. brought it to service directer . he said looks like something splashed on it . he told me to get compounded and waxed. if it still their he will have a toyota rep look at it .nevertheless im geting very nervous does anybody haVE PICS OF THEIR PAINT PROBLEMS I GOT ONLY 5000 MILES ON IT IN 8 MONTHS THIS SHOULD NOT BE HAPPENING!!!!!!!!!

141 - 160 of 194 Posts