Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

161 - 180 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
i have a trd edition that i bought in nov. today i noticed 40 to 50 white spots developing on the hood and roof. brought it to service directer . he said looks like something splashed on it . he told me to get compounded and waxed. if it still their he will have a toyota rep look at it .nevertheless im geting very nervous does anybody haVE PICS OF THEIR PAINT PROBLEMS I GOT ONLY 5000 MILES ON IT IN 8 MONTHS THIS SHOULD NOT BE HAPPENING!!!!!!!!!
Unless you drove through a bird**** shower, I'm going to guess those are chips. I think what they did was paint the whole body the white undercolor for the roof, and then paint the body color up to the roofline. I've seen pictures of chipped up Black Cherry's that look like someone hit them with a shotgun. Shows up a lot less on the lighter colors, but since I wanted mine in BC I got film applied to all the forward facing surfaces to protect it.

Really, as has been said before, this isn't Toyota's problem. The blame lies with the environmental regs that forced them all to switch from solvent based to water based coatings. My G35 chipped like mad all over the hood and a-pillars. The paint is just softer now, but you can feel good about the fact that it isn't outgassing deadly toluene and acetone... or whatever ;).

·
Registered
750 Posts
I've noticed this paint chipping easily as well. Nothing so big that I would sue over though.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I have an appointment with my dealership next friday to look at the problem. It doesn't bother me that much but I wanted them to know about it. They were very concerned and insisted I bring it in to get looked at. Pretty cool I thought.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have an appointment with my dealership next friday to look at the problem. It doesn't bother me that much but I wanted them to know about it. They were very concerned and insisted I bring it in to get looked at. Pretty cool I thought.
let us know what happened....

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
Personally, I think the only issue with the paint is one all cars now share: the solvents are out and the water is in. When you have a new vehicle and the paint gets chipped up it sucks, and the Internet gives us ample opportunity to moan about how much it sucks.

For my part, I'm scheduled to get 3M film placed on the vulnerable parts this Wed. Till then I am keeping it off the highway.
Water based paints require much less attention from OSHA and the like, not to mention ventilation costs, and other protective gear for the painters. From a bottom line standpoint it makes much more sense.

(I'm not saying it's right)

To each his own, but I irreversibly pinstriped my Black Diamond a week after buying it new. My wife asked if I was going to get it fixed. I told her that I didn't see the point if it was going to happen at least twice a month.

I think the Rav4 is Toyotas answer to non pinstriping paint. I never see pinstripes on those. :jester:

·
Registered
539 Posts
2 years now and I don't have a single chip . and I drive it daily through very tough Canadian winters with lots of crap on our roads!!! - great paint on mine!!!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
crap im going to be driving on a lot of gravel in the future im sure i will be a victim in the future none for now

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just a thought:

Can we get a list started of ALL of the paint affected FJ's with the following information:

Date of manufacture:
Color:
Date of Purchase:
Location of Purchase: city, st, zip
Locations of chips: (l-fender, r-fender, etc.)

This might help in figuring out exactly what is affected and when it was made...this could give us a clue as to why and so forth.

If you can PM me or post it, I will get this data collected and check it out.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I have chips on my hood on my trail teams and i only have 3000 miles, I just touch it up make sure that its not going to rust and clench my teeth.

·
Registered
220 Posts
My G35 chipped like mad all over the hood and a-pillars.

Agree!! I traded in a G35 for my FJ. Anyone that thinks for a second the FJ chips badly should go trade it in for a G35. THEN the games will truely begin. I own a VB FJC and have had one or two chips but nothing major at all.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Color: Sun Fusion
Date of Purchase: 2/28/07
Location of Purchase: Minneapolis, MN
Locations of chips: hood, l-fender, r-fender, l-a-pillar, r-a-pillar, roof piece above windshield, right door, left door.

Daily driver. No off-road in gravel, just snow. No tailgating of trucks (to keep glass chips low). Each panel has 2-3 chips each. Hood has 5.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Every car/truck I have ever owned has had paint chips including my one year old FJ with 30K miles....Its gonna happen so get some touch up paint if it bothers you.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Every car/truck I have ever owned has had paint chips including my one year old FJ with 30K miles....Its gonna happen so get some touch up paint if it bothers you.
That's kind of funny, because that's not my experience. It doesn't sound like that's the experience of a lot of other people, either. If everyone's cars got rock chips starting day one, no one would care about the FJ. Now I don't care to spend money on a lawsuit -- this was simply the first rock chip thread I found when searching -- but I think this is a legitimate gripe. And if it makes people feel better to b!tch about it, great. If I hear that some people are getting free repaints, I want to know how, because I decided I'm not interested in prepping and painting and finishing this many rock chips (I did buy the touch up paint, at the full stealer price).

My last vehicle was a '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee with well over 100,000 miles, and much of that on rural highways where trucks were hauling. The only two rock chips I ever got on that car were on the windshield and on the rear door (wtf?). I don't think I'll ever figure out how that rear rock chip happened. Now I get the windshield thing, I'm not going to cry too hard about needing to replace that every few years. But the paint issue isn't related to aerodynamic-ness, it's related to paint quality and/or technique. I base this on my first two paint uh-oh's:

(1) Not the first time I washed/dried the car, but the first time I used a white microfiber towel. Car was still pretty new. White towel at the end of the rub down was slightly SF yellow. I thought I was drunk. Now I think I don't have a clear coat.

(2) Removing a bit of road tar from the hood with a towel, the tar took a bit of paint off with it, right down to the primer. This was 9AM, so I knew I wasn't drunk, but I must have stared at that for a good five minutes before I could believe that happened. I use plenty of degreaser now on tar, just to be safe.

Look buddy, you saw the sign on the door to this thread, and it said "pity party" pretty plainly. People are coming here to complain. Some move on, some don't. Who cares. But when you take crap day in and day out of your life, what you don't want is to pay $30,000 to get crap from someone. I can get crap for free, thank you. But every once in a while, I like to give a little bit of it away.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a 2008 Sandstorm, and I am starting to see paint chips. One on the pillar started as a speck or very tinny lump or bubble that then popped and left what looks like a paint chip. Have a total of three so far…..

Contemplating next move….

·
Registered
220 Posts
I own a 07 VB FJC...This is one of the colors I see a lot of complaints about in regards to chipping........the chipping is in no way out of the ordinary, but I do agree that the chips are very noticable due to the white paint underneath the blue. This would not be as eveident on colors that do not contrast with white as much (silver)....and you will notice that most FJC owners with silver don't have as much of an issue.....the paint is the same for all FJ's the color has nothing to do with it........I traded in an 03 G35 coupe for my FJ.......if you are not happy with the paint on your FJ, then trade it in for a G35.......you will appriciate your FJC much more, my G35 chipped much much worse

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Here is the way I look at it...

We are all driving a Box set slightly back on top of another Box. We are as aerodynamic as Brick in a wind tunnel..
So we are going to get rock chips plain and simple.. It doesn't call for a lawsuit and doesn't mean Toyota did something wrong..

The EPA and the freakin Bleeding hearts Bio Lib's and Tree Huggers (if any are in the forum, No offense) The have made it so the paint the Auto Companies use have to be BIO safe and water based. Which means very thin and real easy, and prone to chips. Now I want the Environment to be safe and all and I tread lightly and all, but by no means am I concerned with what the paint does to the environment.. But Toyota (like all govt regulated companies) has to and we have to live with it.. It sucks, but we have to live with it, the Govt say's we do..

The white stuff below the paint is a anti-Rust protectant, so it is a good thing..

Here it is in a nut shell::: If you don't like the paint job, change the guys who make the rules.. Vote out the LIB's who make the stupid regs which cause these problems to happen... This way Toyota (and other Auto manufactures) can use a hard paint and stop the chipping problem..

This is only one man's opinion and all but it is based on facts.

:cheers:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Here is the way I look at it...

We are all driving a Box set slightly back on top of another Box. We are as aerodynamic as Brick in a wind tunnel..
So we are going to get rock chips plain and simple.. It doesn't call for a lawsuit and doesn't mean Toyota did something wrong..

The EPA and the freakin Bleeding hearts Bio Lib's and Tree Huggers (if any are in the forum, No offense) The have made it so the paint the Auto Companies use have to be BIO safe and water based. Which means very thin and real easy, and prone to chips. Now I want the Environment to be safe and all and I tread lightly and all, but by no means am I concerned with what the paint does to the environment.. But Toyota (like all govt regulated companies) has to and we have to live with it.. It sucks, but we have to live with it, the Govt say's we do..

The white stuff below the paint is a anti-Rust protectant, so it is a good thing..

Here it is in a nut shell::: If you don't like the paint job, change the guys who make the rules.. Vote out the LIB's who make the stupid regs which cause these problems to happen... This way Toyota (and other Auto manufactures) can use a hard paint and stop the chipping problem..

This is only one man's opinion and all but it is based on facts.

So you think we should vote out all the liberals that have been running the EPA for the last 8 years? The current EPA hasn't exactly been known as an agency that institutes environmental regulations that harm business practice or necessarily follow scientific advisory panel recommendations...

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
So you think we should vote out all the liberals that have been running the EPA for the last 8 years? The current EPA hasn't exactly been known as an agency that institutes environmental regulations that harm business practice or necessarily follow scientific advisory panel recommendations...

Yes I do. They actually regulate what chemicals which can and can't be used in paint in the Auto industry. This is why all paints since about 1999 or 2000 have to be water based not lacquer based, which is harmful to the enviroment.. This is why the FJ and all other vehicles are more prone to rock chips than they use to be.. And then there is the fact that we are just a big box on top of a box. Toyota announced this at that time to the dealers and told them what would happen. All Manafactures use a water based paint now which is very thin and easy to chip.

This is why I say, vote the folks out of office who are the porblem, it isn't Toyota's fault or any other Auto manafacture. Jeep has the same problem with chiping and the window chiping and breaking. It is the design of the vehicle being a big box on top of a box. Square's don't deflect rocks and other things they absorb them, thus rock chips.

This is from Automotive Paint Tec News

NEWS Bulletin(January 1,2008) Regulations force dealerships to look at alternate repair options. OSHA and EPA are now “cracking” down on bodyshop product use for environmental reasons. Mobile spray operators are now listed as part of a national law looking to decrease HAPs ( Hazardous Air Pollutants) and will share fines with the dealership property owner. Eco-friendly products are the solution and government agencies are increasing public awareness to stop the uneccesary violations. For uv clearcoat, uv paint products and new programs call 866-246-3777 or visit www.aquaphaseauato.com

Here is the link to the EPA website with the Act which is why the paint is the way it is..

National Volatile Organic Compound Emission Standards for Automobile Refinish Coatings | Federal Register Environmental Documents | USEPA

Now after reading all of this, you will be there for days. This is why Toyota and all the manafacutres have to use thin paints which chip easy and thus cause the problem you are all talking about..

The fact is that Toyota (and all Auto Manafactures) have no choice but to do so and you can't sue over what govt regs they follow.. The only thing you can do is vote out the Bio-LIBS who make the laws and then we can fix this problem and make it better for future owners of the FJ. Face it we are F$%^ed with the paint we have now, and there is nothing we can do about it.

Sueing Toyota will only cause you to spend your money and loose.

I'll say it again, we are driving a Box on Top of a Box with thin paint, there is nothing you can do about it.

The choices are:
Change the Rules
Change the Vehicle (I'll own mine till It or I die)
Or Repaint the vehicle with a harder paint at you cost.

Hope this helps explain all and helps everyone understand that Toyota isn't at fault, Your GOVT is...

·
Registered
443 Posts
+1 to this guy.

Most people spout off, this guy has facts and goes to the extra effort to post the links.

161 - 180 of 194 Posts