Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this issue has been discussed dozens of times.
But I like to hear some fresh updated answers if you don't mind.

The size of my paint chips usually are pretty small. Haven't got any big ones yet. But my FJ is Black Diamond so they are still noticeable if you stand close to it.

Is there anyway to fix those paint chips without repainting the whole part??
like a small touch up paints that can cover up just around the paint chip dots??

I know there are such thing as 'Clear Bra'. Very nice for any vehicle, but lil' PRICY. Wonder if they can still be put on top of the chipped surface.

So How do you handle your paint chips??

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
I fixed the chips with touch up paint and had the local film installer put 3M clear shield on all the most prone spots, leading edge of the hood, mirrors, front of A-pillars, panel above the windshield. Wasn't very expensive at all, less than $300 for a custom job. I even had him put pieces behind the door handles so my wife's nails didn't scratch the paint like it has on our other vehicles.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I fixed the chips with touch up paint and had the local film installer put 3M clear shield on all the most prone spots, leading edge of the hood, mirrors, front of A-pillars, panel above the windshield. Wasn't very expensive at all, less than $300 for a custom job. I even had him put pieces behind the door handles so my wife's nails didn't scratch the paint like it has on our other vehicles.

DEWFPO
what type of touch up paint did you use?
never knew a finger nail could do such damage to a vehicle.. :lol:

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
I bought the touch up paint at the dealer.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have had 2 chips on my paint without taking it off road. It is frustrating since this is supposed to be a "Rugged Off Road Beast", but I don't worry about it too much. Paint from the dealer, rubber/plastic black door guards for the edge, since that is the most vunerable spot anytime you open the door (I have a decent chip there). I also have a few dents on the roof from walking up there when I load and unload kayak and gear.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
So far I have not touched up my paint chips, and if you search my posts, I have actually posted pics of the chipped paint. My dealership actually gave me a couple of paint pens to fix the chips as when I discussed it with them as paint isn't covered under Toyota's warranty.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Not all, but i'm sure a good portion of chips are caused by following too closely. We are all guilty of doing it. Keep your distance from vehicles ahead of you and i'm sure this will help some. I don't seem to have the chip problem like most people speak of and i'm at 27K.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have quite a few chips on the side of the vehicle which is where I wouldn't expect to get them along with the usual places on the forward facing surfaces. The paint sucks every time I wash it there are more and more and I only have 14500 mi on the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Not all, but i'm sure a good portion of chips are caused by following too closely. We are all guilty of doing it. Keep your distance from vehicles ahead of you and i'm sure this will help some. I don't seem to have the chip problem like most people speak of and i'm at 27K.
Yeah, what he said. Same mileage one chip. DO NOT FOLLOW ANYTHING WITH MORE THAN FOUR WHEELS CLOSELY!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.