Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. Here is how thin the FJ paint is.

A cord from a shop lamp was hanging down, and it was swinging ever so slightly, hit the door, and the plug went all the way through the clear coat, through the color coat, and all the way to the primer. Yes, you heard correctly, a cord plug.

Now contrast that to my Corvette paint. A fender liner came off a car to my right on the freeway, flew up about 10 feet into the air, and onto my hood at freeway speed. Yes, it scratched the paint, but it did not go all the way to the color coat. I buffed it out, and it is nearly invisible.

The FJ is suppose to be an off-road vehicle. It ought to have clear coat at least as thick as a Chevrolet passenger car. Chevrolet's paint must be 10 times as thick.

Michael

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
OK. Here is how thin the FJ paint is.

A cord from a shop lamp was hanging down, and it was swinging ever so slightly, hit the door, and the plug went all the way through the clear coat, through the color coat, and all the way to the primer. Yes, you heard correctly, a cord plug.

Now contrast that to my Corvette paint. A fender liner came off a car to my right on the freeway, flew up about 10 feet into the air, and onto my hood at freeway speed. Yes, it scratched the paint, but it did not go all the way to the color coat. I buffed it out, and it is nearly invisible.

The FJ is suppose to be an off-road vehicle. It ought to have clear coat at least as thick as a Chevrolet passenger car. Chevrolet's paint must be 10 times as thick.

Michael
Well that sucks. The only damage my truck has is from lug nut that I saw come off the guys minivan in front of me, bounce on the ground and fly up and hit my leading edge of the hood and thankfully stopped almost completely once it smashed my just installed third windsheild... Now on my forth- in a year!

Ive wheeled mine, had it keyed and aside from the keyed incident and the one above, all the others have buffed/ wet sanded back out.

At least Toyota used flat paints (aside from the Black cherry) so it easy to patch.

:cheers:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Paint Entirely Too Thin...... not only Toyota

Yes, the paint is mighty thin on this Toyo.

I also have a Honda Ridgeline. Good grief, that truck has got to have some of the most thinnest fragile paint I've ever seen. Not to mention the sheet metal. When I wax the hood I have to be really gentle when buffing. The thing 'oil cans' so bad I can't believe it. Can't wait to see what things look like 15 or 20 years from now. Wait... I doubt they'll even be using metal by then.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I agree. I wanted Toyota to repaint mine and they told me to go F$%^ myself. A branch fell of a tree (maybe half inch thick) and put a huge crack all the way threw the primer

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
When I first got mine I noticed that when I took it to a regular old carwash and used a high pressure wand that little bits would flake off.

It took a few trips to figure it out, now it only gets hand washed and I bought some touch up paint to fix the blemishes.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I had a blue '07, and if you looked at the paint the wrong way it would chip. After a really bad bout of wind here, I ended up with the whole rig re-painted, and that paint held up a lot better.

The paint on my '10 seems to be holding up a lot better, though. I made a trip to the upper midwest, which included driving through some very strong winds in Kansas, and I feared the worst when I got home. To my relief, I didn't find a single chip. If it would have been the '07, there would have been little white spots all over it. Every time I made a long trip in the '07, I would spend a day touching up chips.

It was really frustrating with my '07 because I was even finding chips BEHIND the spare tire. How that was happening is beyond me. Hopefully Toyota listened to those original compliants and improved the paint.

I did get the clear bra on the pillars and hood on my new one after my previous experiences. The pillars were always the worst.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I guess that's one good thing about Titanium/Silver, chips and blemishes are harder to see. I have a few nicks here and there but you have to look really hard to notice them.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yup I bought touch up paint within a month of buying my 08 Sun Fusion...and we spend a lot of time trimming branches on narrow old trails and dirt roads after a 1/4 inch creosote twig dinged the paint down to the undercoat. I don't mind a few AZ pinstripes, but oh well the vehicle is so awesome on the performance level we just deal with it.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Note that as environmental regulations get more strict world-wide, paint formulations get thinner. This has been a problem throughout the industry, and as a result if you look at most manufacturers' vehicles wrong the paint will chip.

You'll never again see "old school" paint jobs on cars as robust as was common even five years ago.

·
Registered
334 Posts
That is the "marketing pitch" they use to sell you Simonize treatments. I declined doing that as I felt it was an overpriced wax job. Has anyone done anything that can actually help preserve the factory paint or is regular waxing the only option?

·
Registered
470 Posts
This thread just makes me want to line-x the whole car even more.

·
Registered
378 Posts
my 2010 paint is fine. sorry but you cant compare a fiberglass paint job to one on metal. The glass absorbes some of the shock. metal less so, and then the paint takes the brunt of the shock. plus a small thing like your plug concentrated the hit PSI, where as the inner fender probably hit you in several places at once spreading the shock load.
But if it was up to me i would never have clearcoat, it plain out sucks and is an excuse for poor paint skills. i hate that car manufactures use it now. a solid acrlic enamal holds up best to off-roading, and cleans up nicley. If you can paint it looks better than a two step clear coat process. I am not a good painter and my trucks still look pretty good. If i ever have to repaint the FJ i will go without clear. the bronco is 07 Voodoo blue but in AE

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought my FJ Cruiser 3 weeks ago! absolutly love it :) But.... off road with this thin paint? whooooaaa really concerned here. I have hadley driven it,It is garage kept at home and at work,still...several hood chips and side door tiny nicks down to the primer. Im very concerned.If I go off road camping,hiking,kayaking with this thin paint ,I will look like I bought a rent a wreck ! I owned a Jimmy SLE previously bought new,had 220,000 on it,paint was in mint condition at 15years old ! and it went everywhere! Im proably going to contact toyota today about this... Any sugestions here?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts