Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha---I was wondering how durable the paint is on the fj's (2007 voodoo blue)?...and what care products the fjers use on their vehicles?...Mahalo Puluke

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Honestly a good clay bar and power polish once a year works wonders.

3M clear bra works well in protecting those areas prone to rock chips.

12 years old in these pics, nothing but a regular polishing.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I`m a avid offroader in my 2007 so most of my paint is on trail bushes. :) I feel the paint on my 07 is seriously thin.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Meh, a bit thin. My 2007 bought new and as the original owner, paint has faded a bit being outdoors 24x7 in the Texas sun (I think that is called “patina”). No rust (again courtesy of a SW climate). Some peeling/crackling on the plastic faux hood scoop. But for a 13 year old vehicle it is aging nicely. VooDoo blue is an Awesome color...no regrets.

forgot that you asked about care products...unfortunately I use a lot of neglect coupled with an occasional car wash. I’m better about cleaning, vacuuming the interior. Added Wet O’kale (sp ?) seat covers a few years ago due to the well documented drivers seat, left side bolster wear point.

·
Premium Member
2013 Trail Teams #181/2500<>< <*((^(((><
145 Posts
Like Mikey said, start with a clay bar.
If you wax your front windshield you can skip using your wipers in heavy rain. I have used a product called REJEX for 20 years, It does not leave a film. I use it as my primary wax for everything, great stuff! My FJ is newer but the sun bakes my car as I live in Florida. This product once you put it on can’t be in the sun for about eight hours as it bonds to the paint. The wax also makes it easier to get the bugs off.

<>< <>< <><. <*((^(((><

·
Registered
248 Posts
We have a 2007 Voodoo Blue that has spent its life outdoors and has had minimal paint care. It is hosed off about once a month,and has not been waxed for probably a decade.

I am not recommending this, but it will help provide an answer to the question.

The edges of the doors under the windows have failed clear coat. The white top paint looks OK, but failed clear would not show up much there.

The paint on the hood was through the clear coat in many places, and was going through the base coat in some sections maybe three years ago. (I shot flat black to cover the mess up.)

Our FJ has rarely been garaged, and has spent its life in east Texas and southern Arizona. Judging by other vehicles around here, the paint quality is probably average in durability.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts