Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Paint Problem....solved..... Now with PICS!

Last week I went through a harmless looking puddle but in that puddle something must have been lurking. After the rain we were getting I knew it would take at least 2-3 days before things dried up enuff to bother washing the FJ. It's only 2 months old and has 2500 miles.

So I head off to the car wash and this particular puddle had splashed up the left front corner and the left side of the hood. Well, it won't spray off. So I get out the mitt and with some scrubbing off it comes. I get home and as I'm walking past the front of the FJ I see that the FJ is sparkling clean EXCEPT for all the spots I just washed off of the left side of the hood and fender. I mean the actually splashes are gone but every where there had been a splash from that one puddle there is now some kind of ghost image of it etched into my clear coat. No amount of rubbing on a test spot is helping.

I'm a little freaked. What the hell was in that puddle? Some brake fluid? Hydraulic fluid? Who knows but it's taken up permanent residence on my hood and fender! This is our new baby! And she's splotched! I got out the clay and gave it a whirl. No good. Still there. Staring back at me. Laffing at me. EVIL. Most of what I have for my car finishes is Meguiars. So now out comes the bottle of Ultimate Compound. Took it right out. I win. may as well wax the whole thing now. Is as good a time as any i guess.

By the way....as soon as I'm done I'll post up pics of the finished wax job. But I think when the Meguiars is gone I'll be online shopping for Griots. I hear it's the bomb. What does everyone else like to use?

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I wash mine like once a year.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Last fall my Mom got a 2011 Camry to replace her '98 Buick. For Christmas I got her this

One-Step Sealant Kit - Waxes & Sealants - Waxing - Car Care - Griot's Garage

and soon after I gave the Camry a bath, ran a clay bar over the car and sealed it. I have lots of Griot's products and the ease of use and the fact that EVERTHING works EXACTLY as advertised is a big plus in my book. Esp with so many "one size fits nothing" products out there these days....

Fast forward to March 15 when I bought my 2011 FJ to replace my Tacoma. Well, it rained the first 2 weeks I had it so it was a mess from day one. First chance I got I ran the clay bar over it (after a good wash) and used the same "paint sealant kit" from Mom's Camry (a little goes a long way) on it. I figure I'll do it again in Sept or Oct for both rigs and they'll be good for the winter.

W/O my consent the bird population at work tested the sealant for me 2 days after I applied it. The local birds eat some sort of purple berry that comes out the back end the same purple it went in and this "stuff" will etch paint. I know because it etched the paint on the Tacoma right thru 3 coats of Turtle Wax's finest.... Well, on the FJ, I came out from the office, saw the mess, got pissed because my 3 week old paint was damaged, wiped it off and found NO ETCHING what-so-ever :clap:. This is w/o any wax on top of the sealant...

YMMV RON

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I use to wash my FJ. Now I wait for rain. I do rinse off the suspension and radiator but that's about it. I'm trying to save water so I can spend it on gas for off road trips....

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use to wash my FJ. Now I wait for rain. I do rinse off the suspension and radiator but that's about it. I'm trying to save water so I can spend it on gas for off road trips....
I think that it's cool that your thrifty like that. My wife has taught me be the same way. Luckily we live in the country and run water from our own well. Plus I have a power washer which I use if I get really muddy. We live on dirt and gravel roads.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
:) :rofl: Some of what I said is true. :lol:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax (No. 845)
This heavy duty liquid wax was originally developed for use by electric power companies for protection against high voltage power failure, fires and explosions. It's primary use is on the finishes of automobiles, trucks, buses and airplanes where durability, high gloss and lasting protection are paramount. An excellent choice for fleet applications and very easy to use--requires minimum rubbing or buffing. Clear coat safe.

Collinite Wax Products  :: Choice of the Pros :: Auto, Marine and Industrial

·
Registered
947 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Zaino!!:bigthumb:

:cheers:
I use Zaino on my vehicles as well. Expensive, but it works.

Last summer some one actually asked me if my 99 Dakota was new.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
I use quarters . lol Just kidding. I save water by washing the car on my lawn. lol Just kidding again

I like the ICE polish and usually wax with carnuba after a good cleaning wax. I make a day of it and do it right.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all of the replies. They've led me to do some more research for the next time I buy. I already have a full bottle of Meguiars NXT that I bought last time but when that's gone I'll try Zaino. My 2011 is Brick and my wifes 2000 Solara is Autumn Red Mica. Zaino looks awesome on darker colors so I just have to figure out which Zaino's are the right combination.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've switched from Meguiars Gold to NXT last year.
I'm sold on NXT.
I have a 08 Brick and the colour really pops after it's been waxed.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Another huge fan of Zaino Bros here- I've been using it for years and the products keep getting easier to use and longer lasting.

While you're using up the NXT go ahead and get a bottle of the Tire Gloss, it the best $12.95 you'll spend. I use it on everything that's black on the FJ- tires, rock rails, spare tire cover, bumpers and rack. Gives everything a nice black sheen without a high gloss, it will last through several washings before you'll have to do it again.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
For my other car, I use Griot's stuff. Easy to use and safe.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I've been pleased with the products from Surf City Garage.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Ive used nearly everything on so many cars.... Its very hard to beat Meguires Gold Class on dark cars (the toughest). A good wash, a clay bar rub in the spring and maybe the end of summer, keep a coat of MGC on it. It doesnt break the bank, and its easy to find and replace and use.

I also use on occasion 3M Imperial Hand Glaze and Groits sealant.

If you think you have a screwy finish problem from the puddle, use 3M hand glaze or similar before you wax. It will add a step but come out "the balls."

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Still lots of great suggestions rollin in I see! Thanks! Now for the after wax photos I promised. This is hand washed (my 5 year old twin granddaughters Kate and Becka had a blast helping with that), clayed (I LOVE clay and even makes the windows feel polished), Mag's Ultimate Polish (on by hand and off with DA) and finished with Mag's NXT 2.0 (on by hand off by hand).

This was done last nite and pics taken this morning. Too bad it was all cloudy and about to rain. I'm really pleased with the results and can't wait to try Zaino's when the Mag's is gone. The splotches disappeared.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts