Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... here's the deal. I've been searching for a few days now for anyone who has rattlecanned their rims and used them for a while. I'm finding alot of threads about painting them but none about how long that paint lasts until the rims need to be touched up. There seems to be a lot of debate over what will last the longest, teflon, powdercoat or rattlecan, but I can't find any numbers or pics to back up any of these claims. I'd like to do mine but if I need to be touching them up all the time then what's the point? :shrug03:

I'm also now wondering about buying rims that in black, are they powdercoated, painted or are they coloured during the manufacturing process? How long willl the wheels bought in black last until they look used up? I just thought about this question so I'm off to search again! :jester:

Anyone with painted/coated alloys.... post up some info and some pics of you wheels! When did you paint them? Did you use a primer, top coat? Have you been driving on the highway, dirt road or trails?

Lets see how long the painted wheels are lasting until they need to be touched up!

·
Registered
413 Posts
I rattle canned mine 2 1/2 months ago. I have been down dirt/gravel roads, car washes, highway, and around town; no need to touch up yet. I have not rubbed them up on any curbs or bounced them off any rocks yet, and I am certain that would cause a scratch or two.

Wheel Pics

Take note, it did take several hours to paint all five wheels. Money is harder to come by than my time. So if I had too, I would paint mine again instead of Teflon or Powder Coating my wheels.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've painted mine with Rustoleum flat black and it holds up great. If you do scratch them, touch up is a breeze.

Black with a little Moab dirt.
Thanks for the replies...

How long have you had them painted for Frogeye, and how many times have you touched them up?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ive had mine painted for a year and except for a couple minor little scratches that need to be touched up, it looks as good as new.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Ive had mine painted for a year and except for a couple minor little scratches that need to be touched up, it looks as good as new.
X2 about a year now and I wheel it. Paint is a lot easier and cheaper to touch up then powder coat. If you prep it right and use good paint it is really durable.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I'm on about a year and a half now. So far I have one small chip. I used the duracolor wheel paint and it seems to be pretty durable. Light off road, lots of snow and around town.
Hope it helps..

·
Registered
68 Posts
good question, i've been wondering the same thing myself for a while now, but i think i'll just buy some wheels, but keep the stocked ones just in case.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just the answers I was hoping to see!!!!:clap: Thanks guys!

I guess next time I'm in the city I'll be picking up some primer and paint!! I can't wait for the next trip!! It's been a while since I've done anything to the truck and I'm starting to get impatient with the arrival of the next mod!!! :simmadown:

Looks like this summer will be the summer of the rattlecan!!!:lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts