Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but very interested in adding trd hub caps to the 8 Hole wheels I recently acquired. Can anyone who has done this, confirm if the part number referenced above is a direct fit? PTR2035111BK - they also have a gray cap which may match better without paining. Part number ends in GR.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here is my iteration of the Fj 8 hole trd wheel using an oem cap. Minimal modification needed and they slide into place.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looks great! Could you please describe the minimal mods?

On the 8hole wheel when you take off the original hub cap you’ll notice there is a groove where the factory cap locks/sits or clips in/ essentially we are modifying the trd cap to sit in the groove. To accomplish this I shaved down all 6 edges with a flat file around 2mm each. You’ll want to measure as you go. To install you’ll want to line up with the groove and twist in place (instead of pushing the cap on) once in they are in, they’re snug. Installation of the hub caps will be wheels off operation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you! Just to clarify, the modification and fitment trials is a wheels off operation correct? Once the center caps have been successfully modified they can then be placed in after the wheels are installed, just wanted to be sure...

·
Registered
5 Posts
On the 8hole wheel when you take off the original hub cap you’ll notice there is a groove where the factory cap locks/sits or clips in/ essentially we are modifying the trd cap to sit in the groove. To accomplish this I shaved down all 6 edges with a flat file around 2mm each. You’ll want to measure as you go. To install you’ll want to line up with the groove and twist in place (instead of pushing the cap on) once in they are in, they’re snug. Installation of the
Thank you! Just to clarify, the modification and fitment trials is a wheels off operation correct? Once the center caps have been successfully modified they can then be placed in after the wheels are installed, just wanted to be sure...
yes. Wheels off when test fitting too. As the lugs will be in the way. You’ll need that space to line up the groove. Once they are all lined up turn clock ways to seat and lock them in. The plus here. Is that once installed on the wheel and lugs installed they are locked in from prying eyes!
If you want to go the extra mile you can clear coat the caps as they are matte from factory.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great info, thanks again! Should I use a dremel or do you still recommend a hand file? I have a set of the 8hole wheels for my 2010 4Runner TE. I am having them powder coated with a 20% gloss and have the TRD Pro center caps (same as yours but black.) I will post some pics once I get them back and fit the caps. Your set up looks great. The center caps that come with the 8hole wheels stick out too far in my opinion, just an aesthetic thing but I like the way the TRD ones sit in more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
yes. Wheels off when test fitting too. As the lugs will be in the way. You’ll need that space to line up the groove. Once they are all lined up turn clock ways to seat and lock them in. The plus here. Is that once installed on the wheel and lugs installed they are locked in from prying eyes!
If you want to go the extra mile you can clear coat the caps as they are matte from factory. View attachment 1154410
PTR2035111GR. Is the part number I used ‘GR’ for gray silver and black is available too
Great info, thanks again! Should I use a dremel or do you still recommend a hand file? I have a set of the 8hole wheels for my 2010 4Runner TE. I am having them powder coated with a 20% gloss and have the TRD Pro center caps (same as yours but black.) I will post some pics once I get them back and fit the caps. Your set up looks great. The center caps that come with the 8hole wheels stick out too far in my opinion, just an aesthetic thing but I like the way the TRD ones sit in more.
hand file for sure, you’ll have more control fine tuning and ensuring that each tab has been shaved equally. Once you get one done, the remaining 3 will go in pretty easy.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts