Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
HAHAHAH ridiculous!! For about 3.50 a can and some painters tape you can do it yourself.

·
Registered
368 Posts
....and when Mother Nature decides to take a whack at your mirror etc, etc, etc....

·
Registered
630 Posts
If they were flat black and 1/3 the price..........I'm still gonna paint them myself once I figure out how to get them (and the door handles) off.

·
Registered
660 Posts
If they were flat black and 1/3 the price..........I'm still gonna paint them myself once I figure out how to get them (and the door handles) off.
See the sticky on the heated mirror install. It gives a step by step for taking the mirrors off. I actually just completed this mod last week myself. It took me about 30 minutes a side to disassemble the door to get the mirror off.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
....and when Mother Nature decides to take a whack at your mirror etc, etc, etc....
Mother nature has ass whiped the hell out of mine like a dominatrix crackhead on her period and the plastic paint has held up just fine, I even broke off a mirror on a trail and the paint held up but the mirror itself didn't.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
$129 isn't worth paying for something you can do you self with some $4 paint cans at Home Depot. :cool:

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
It's easy to get the mirrors off!!!! The door handles are crazy simple as well. Check out LandCruiserSteve's sticky on how to remove the door panels. Take the door panels off and then there is a metal plate with 4 bolts that covers the mirror attachment point. Then there are 3 or 4 (don't remember exactly) bolts that actually mount the mirror to the door. Once you back those bolts out, the mirror will snap out. You just have to disconnect the power whip before you remove the mirror itself.

After the mirrors come off, just blue tape and rattle can!!!! Just let the coats dry really well before you go on with the next coat. I am going to clear coat mine now that I have them blacked out, so I will take some pictures to post up of how the mirrors actually come off.

The handles are even easier. There is a small cover on the door jam. Take that little cover off and then use a star connection on a driver and back the little bolt deal out of the lock. It won't fall off and into the door so don't worry about it. Once you have the locking part loose, it just pops out of the door. The handle itself just push it forward and then pull it out. It simply slides out of place. Piece of cake. I can take mine off and post some pics of that as well.

I think I have spent maybe $30 on the Textured Black Rustoleum for plastics and then the Clear Coat by Rustoleum as well. I personally prefer the clear coat so that your microfiber type clothes don't pick when you dry it off.

Kim:cheers:

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
i think ill join the rattle can club thats a lot for a plastic cover

1 - 13 of 13 Posts