Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took me awhile but they are finally done and I love them. I used "Hot Rod Black" which is a 2K single stage flat black paint made by Dupont. I used this paint because it is supposed to hold up real well to the elements and also because their are many people using this paint on old street rods whith great results.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Much better! I like the LOOK!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
that looks awesome, where can i get some of that paint?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Very nice, I'm gonna have to go for it one of these days! Looks great!:rocker:

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
awesome I have been waiting a long time for someone to do this so I could see what it looked like.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it that glossy in real life because in these pics they look quite shiny. Did you flip the tires first then paint them?

They are not that glossy in real life, must be a bit of reflection from the sun. I broke each tire down, painted, then flipped the black wall out and rebalanced. I work at a dealership bodyshop and just used our service departments equipment. I am pretty lucky when it comes to this kind stuff. :bigthumb: Yeah and I did each wheel at a time so It took awhile.

Thanks for all the complimates guys!

·
Registered
568 Posts
awwww.....stop it! All I've managed to black out so far is my windows and door handles.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Quirky request, but do you mind posting a larger version of the pic in your avatar? My tires are always brown and would like to see how the brown contrasts with the black wheels.

Thanks!

·
Registered
368 Posts
I see what my next mod will be....Thanks for the pics!!!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quirky request, but do you mind posting a larger version of the pic in your avatar? My tires are always brown and would like to see how the brown contrasts with the black wheels.

Thanks!
Here ya go, couple of pics of me and my son after playing around a bit. After this day it reinforced the idea of getting some more aggresive tires. These Rugged trails suck in the Midwest mud!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Like night and day. Looks really good.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Did you paint your mirrors too or are the factory black mirrors? The match looks pretty good from here.
I painted everything that was silver a month ago and the roof two weeks ago.

Thanks alot for all the complimates guys. I am pretty happy with the way it looks I just would like to change the stance next.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have commited to blacking the factory wheels.

Couple questions;

Did you rattlecan em or have them painted professionally?
Did you go through proper prep to paint? Sanding, tacking, etc...
If you had them done, what did that cost? Assuming you actually paid and didn't have it done at your dealer.

-Andy

1 - 20 of 25 Posts