Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Trail Snail
3,246 Posts
I like them a lot Jbell :bigthumb:. I always liked the dished-in wheels and they look strong in black.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I have commited to blacking the factory wheels.

Couple questions;

Did you rattlecan em or have them painted professionally?
Did you go through proper prep to paint? Sanding, tacking, etc...
If you had them done, what did that cost? Assuming you actually paid and didn't have it done at your dealer.

-Andy
First ?, I Have been an auto body repair and refinish technician for about 15 years and it really comes in handy when customizing my own stuff.:bigthumb:
Second?, I washed them first then used a prep solvent to clean even better, sanded with a red Scotchbrite pad, prep solvent again, tacked and then used a stacic control wipe,then used Dupont sealer which will help with adhesion, then finally sprayed the black.
It would save you a load if you would just do it yourself. Or find someone that has experience painting and do it in there garage. My shop is 52 per hour labor and 33 per refinish hour. If I were writing you an estimate at my shop it would be about 1.5 hrs per wheel which is $390 for labor and around $247 for materials. That is a rediculous $637 to paint your wheels. It actually cost me about $100 bucks for paint and the rest of the materials I used were the shops. I chose the Dupont Hot Rod Black because of the stain resistance,great adhesion, and will not fade or turn chalky. I used this paint on my roof also.

Hope this helps some.:wave:

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
dont drive through very loose gravel like that of a gravel pile. I did this after i painted mine, not thinking. My rock rails and rear wheel look horrible.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts