Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing my trail damaged OEM rack with a used one thats faded.

OK, Ive done a search on this and most people just get a can of Rust-Oleum and have at it. This rack is off the FJ and I only want to do this once so how to do it? What about the plastic parts?

My plan so far is to give it a lite sanding and then a good cleaning, but then should I use a primer (self aching?) Then whats the best paint? anyone used a gloss black?

There's some information out there but I'm also looking for is feed back on people who've painted there OEM rack and how well it lasted.

I know this is a bunch so thanks for your time.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Before I upgraded to a Baja, I repainted my oem. I really used

I removed the rack and disassembled the mounts/associated hardware. Degrease and sanded. Primer and then paint. The mounts were a little faded as well, but I did not paint them. I was very happy with the results.

I only had the rack for a season before getting the baja, but the paint job held up well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I used bed liner on mine too. Mine was very faded, more grey than black. I bought one can thinking it would be enough to do at least two coats. It barely got me one coat. I did not use a primer. I just cleaned it up and painted it. It looks great with one coat.

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Question, is the OEM roof rack powdered coated? If so I'm reading you need to use a two part epoxy primer.

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
If the OEM rack is still painted, I think there is a good chance the OEM paint is powder coat. I am not a powder coat expert, but I believe powder coat is some type of plastic/polymer which is why it melts/fuses when baked. If so, you might consider one of the paints (like Krylon fusion) that is designed to go over top plastic - it may make for a better bond than a primer/paint designed for metal. Perhaps paint a small section of your damaged rack with the fusion, let it dry a week and give it a scrape test to see if it has bonded with the OEM paint?

good luck,
shawn

·
Registered
226 Posts
If it's just faded but not scratched up, you can bring it back to life with Wipe New or a similar product. Used it on mine a year ago and it still looks like new.
Wipe New ®

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ordered a can of Krylon fusion, going to try a test spot on the busted rack thats still on the FJ.
Don't plan to paint the replacement until the weather warms up so I'll see how the Krylon holds up after 2 months.
Hopefully this will work because a quart of two part epoxy primer is almost $50.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ordered a can of Krylon fusion, going to try a test spot on the busted rack thats still on the FJ.
Don't plan to paint the replacement until the weather warms up so I'll see how the Krylon holds up after 2 months.
Hopefully this will work because a quart of two part epoxy primer is almost $50.
how'd the Fusion work out?

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ive done a few tests spots on my old rack and one of cross beams and so fas so good. Slightly glosser then a new rack but holds up to the "duck tape test" so adhesion doesn't seem to be a problem.
Not going to paint the whole rack until the weather gets warmer, but as of now would recommend it as and easy way to make a rack look new.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Not trying to high jack thread ...just curious if anyone ever painted there rack a different color,,I have been considering this option..

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not trying to high jack thread ...just curious if anyone ever painted there rack a different color,,I have been considering this option..
I thought about going with red but if you scratch the rack your going to see the black underneath. Also I'm getting old and that would be way to much flash for an old man.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts