Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a number of searches but nothing was found on this specifically. It seems the consensus is to paint the sliders black in some fashion mainly for easy touch ups. I would like to do my Demello tube sliders that are ordered in the same color as my new wheels (candy red). I know this goes against the norm but I don't go offroading (yet) and likely won't go to heavy rock crawling type for sure (more mall crawler than rock crawler). Here are some questions:

1. I can take the center cap for paint matching but was paint do you recommend since a rattle can isn't an option?
2. Would the rough up, degrease, prime and paint method still apply?
3. Any value in putting a coat or two of clear on?
4. I know many have done touch ups on powder coat but has anyone straight painted over powder coat when it's new?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'll see your 4 and raise you 1.

If you're not going to "use" them, why not just get them powder coated to match your wheels and not worry about having to deal with touch-ups and paint?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great question/raise...while I haven't gone in the year I've owned my FJ, I do plan on going so they will get some use. Also, as this is my daily driver, I want to be a little more cautious in the terrains I go to so as not to break my DD.

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
Most of us Drive thousands of miles Wheel and drive home some of us Wheel some of the hardest trails in the US and drive home . . The FJ is not made of recycled Jeep parts . You will have to do a base coat of silver to get the red to match your wheels . any paint shop can mix up paint and put it in a spray can . Dupli color has a red anodized look paint that will match your wheels

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,899 Posts
As mentioned above, the red anodized look paint on top of silver metallic paint looks a lot like true anodized. I’ve used this method on my fairlead and cowl look got mounts for years and it looks really great - see my pic how it matches the true anodized Factor 55 thimble. However Ive grown weary of having to redo it every year because of chips in the paint which seem to happen very easily....even with a good topcoat of clear. But still worth a try! Worst case scenario is you either take the sliders in for a pro paint job, or just spray over it all with black.
06D99DD6-0525-4086-B8E6-5932E4335F36.jpeg

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most of us Drive thousands of miles Wheel and drive home some of us Wheel some of the hardest trails in the US and drive home . . The FJ is not made of recycled Jeep parts . You will have to do a base coat of silver to get the red to match your wheels . any paint shop can mix up paint and put it in a spray can . Dupli color has a red anodized look paint that will match your wheels
As mentioned above, the red anodized look paint on top of silver metallic paint looks a lot like true anodized. I’ve used this method on my fairlead and cowl look got mounts for years and it looks really great - see my pic how it matches the true anodized Factor 55 thimble. However Ive grown weary of having to redo it every year because of chips in the paint which seem to happen very easily....even with a good topcoat of clear. But still worth a try! Worst case scenario is you either take the sliders in for a pro paint job, or just spray over it all with black. View attachment 1119241 View attachment 1119241
Thank you for the silver recommendation. So it's sand, degrease, prime, silver metallic then the red? Can the mixing be done at Home Depot and in Rust-Oleum? Would you still recommend clear coats?

And yes, if touch ups are too much of a pain, then I'll end up going black, but I'd like to at least try this out to begin with.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you! I'll definitely check out my AutoZone as well. I'd still like to get a paint match so that it's a truer match to the wheels so will also check out other options as well. Here are my wheels for reference (they're painted and not anodized):

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From the pic I’d say it’s an amazingly close match
I'll check it out. Maybe I can do a test sample on something else (fuel door maybe?) before applying it on the sliders. I have a few weeks before I pick them up from Demello so have a little bit of time to work it all out.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Or that, yes.

I also saw an OEM roof rack for sale here that was pretty faded for cheap here. I have been considering doing the same with it as well but I believe that's aluminum. Probably getting a little red happy.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Which one of these two would it be?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Doesn't look like it's available for shipping or pickup to my area. Will continue to look elsewhere for it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts