Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone,
have a silver FJ and went to a body shop today to see whether they can paint my roof, front signal lights, mirror lights, and third brake light black...it is possible but getting an estimate on monday! cant wait! hope not too expensive tho...anyway need ideas about the roof, black or silver?? im thinking matte black

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
i think the black roof on a silver looks weird i've seen one in person.He had it gloss black and it looked weird ass hell.stay with the white roof and paint the handles,bezel and mirror's that should take care of ur itch to paint things.:clap:

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
There is 2 other avenues to take!!

If you are going mat black,,, just lineX the roof so when you load stuff up there it won't scratch and it will also sound deadin the wind noise a bit. Cheaper than Paint.

Also, if you go to a vinyl shop, they will do it for around 300-500$ and if you hate it, you can just pull it off at a later date.

Most of the black roofs that you see were Vinyl because of cost.

I got 2 quotes back to paint mine. 2500 and 1900.

Line x was only 900$

Vinyl was 350$ for any color.

Also LineX comes in colors! :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
black roof = hot inside... I agree, though, the white roof on the silver just doesn't do it for me... won't line-x on the roof seriously increase wind drag?

·
Registered
85 Posts
if you go to any sign shop or go on the web search for signwarehouse or sign supplies, you can get a roll matte black or any other color for around 50-100 bucks. depending on the size of the vinyl. also purchase some transfer paper. put transfer paper on top of vinyl, squiggy it on, wet the roof of your fj, remove the backing of vinyl, apply it to the roof while using squiggy to remove airbobbles and then remove the transfer paper, and their you go. different color roof. Im planning on doing this to my fj. But i want to go camoflage. :rocker::rocker:

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Dvan has his roof blacked out.I think the blacked out roof looks the best on TI. (after black that is.) I think matte black would look great

·
Registered
425 Posts
black and white racing checkerboard!

·
Registered
141 Posts
We did a black matte on BC - I think glossy would have looked odd. Doesn't seem to change the inside temp either.

·
Registered
141 Posts
got any pictures? how much did it cost?
I don't have any good ones...but it is finally nice here today so I will stop on my way home, wash the FJ, and post some pics tonight.

Cost was around $450 - we got a slight discount because we knew the shop owner, but it wasn't that much off. They used a urethane paint that is supposed to be UV resistant. So far so good but it has only been a year. Don't let them talk you into removing parts to paint it...they do NOT need to do it.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I don't have any good ones...but it is finally nice here today so I will stop on my way home, wash the FJ, and post some pics tonight.

Cost was around $450 - we got a slight discount because we knew the shop owner, but it wasn't that much off. They used a urethane paint that is supposed to be UV resistant. So far so good but it has only been a year. Don't let them talk you into removing parts to paint it...they do NOT need to do it.
Sweet ........ and yeah DON'T let them talk you into removing windows and stuff ....... only thing I'm removing is my roof rack (it's blue) ......... I've found shops who want 1000's to do this and MANY that would do it for less than $500 ....... don't let them screw you guys on price IT'S JUST THE ROOF !!!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sweet ........ and yeah DON'T let them talk you into removing windows and stuff ....... only thing I'm removing is my roof rack (it's blue) ......... I've found shops who want 1000's to do this and MANY that would do it for less than $500 ....... don't let them screw you guys on price IT'S JUST THE ROOF !!!!
apparently u gotta remove the rear window...my cars at the shop now, it costs 630 for the roof and 212 to paint the signal lights, mirror lights, and third brake light...painting the lights is kinda pricey but dont want to paint them myself...

·
Registered
221 Posts
didn't someone on here have one with the roof painted black, the pictures looked OK, but I always wondered how it would look in person.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
didn't someone on here have one with the roof painted black, the pictures looked OK, but I always wondered how it would look in person.
fingers crossed! just saw pictures of it, and asked for matte black...not metallic...hope it looks good, post pics when i pic it up

·
Registered
141 Posts
Here are some pics of mine. In person it looks like it came from the factory this way.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here are some pics of mine. In person it looks like it came from the factory this way.
pictures look nice...what kinda black is that? the body shop say they wanna paint it flat black? is that like matte black? going to try and see a sample tomorrow

·
Registered
141 Posts
pictures look nice...what kinda black is that? the body shop say they wanna paint it flat black? is that like matte black? going to try and see a sample tomorrow
It is matte. When we took the FJ in for a quote we said the top should match the fenders...and it does.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts