Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was originally going to fork over the $$$ to back out the accents of the FJ... but that's going run about a grand to do. I'd rather spend that on functional upgrades. I bought the TT grill and door handles and was going to buy the mirrors. I'm going to paint the wings and front valance a flat black to try and match the other factory black pieces. No sense wasting money buying bumper pieces when I ultimately plan on a Road Armor bumper.

My question:
Has anyone out painted the silver pieces of the mirrors? If so, did you just mask the non-silver parts, or did you go through the effort to disassemble the mirror. I expect disassembling to provide a cleaner finish.

If you have, I'd love to hear any advice or gotchas about your process.

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
I have painted my mirrors.

1st set I took off the truck (because it is fairly easy) and taped it off and painted them.

Taping these SUCKED, but it was fairly fast.

After the passenger mirror exploded (got way too close to a tree) and I replaced the set I took them apart and painted them. It took a LONG time to disassemble, but I was MUCH happier with the final product.

If I were to do it again I would take them apart again or save up and purchase a set of black mirrors and replace them.

Just my simple opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
I blacked out my grille, bumpers and trim, the door handles, and the mirrors using Rustoleum bedliner in a can (~$9 each x 4). My friends cannot believe how even and subtle the textured flat black is! It becomes hard plastic when it dries and the texture prevents variations in the spray. Take your time though…it can run if you apply too much too fast. I lightly sanded everything first so that there would be a good surface for the bedliner to adhere to. I masked the side mirrors (only the silver) and the back bumper wings (they are too hard to remove), but I removed everything else which was surprisingly easy. Make sure you drape exposed areas of your truck with plastic or painters tarps and you’ll be fine.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
I blacked out my grille, bumpers and trim, the door handles, and the mirrors using Rustoleum bedliner in a can (~$9 each x 4). My friends cannot believe how even and subtle the textured flat black is! It becomes hard plastic when it dries and the texture prevents variations in the spray. Take your time though…it can run if you apply too much too fast. I lightly sanded everything first so that there would be a good surface for the bedliner to adhere to. I masked the side mirrors (only the silver) and the back bumper wings (they are too hard to remove), but I removed everything else which was surprisingly easy. Make sure you drape exposed areas of your truck with plastic or painters tarps and you’ll be fine.
PS: It took me about 5-hours in total to do, and I did it in four different sessions (Grille, Bumpers, mirrors and then door handles).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts