Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a really dumb question/proposition, but here it is....

I recently ordered the All-PRo IFS, tranny, and Transfer Case skids. They come powder coated black but I wanted to add a little zing to my rig. So I was thinking of painting them a nice candy red or something.

My question is, should I paint over the top of the existing powder coating? My thinking is if I do this, then I won't have to fool around with taking them down to bare metal, making sure they are clean, dealing with nasty chemicals, yada, yada, yada.

If I put a coat of primer and then a couple of coats of paint on top, will it compromise the powder coating? And/or should I rough up the powder coating first with a bit of sandpaper to make sure the primer adheres to the powder coat job?

Is this doable? or would I need to take these skids down to bare metal if I want to change colors?

Thanks in advance,

Kalen

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I believe if you just sand them to get the clear coat off.Next step would be prime & paint.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Just scuff them up a bit with a high grit sand paper, then prime and paint!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Scuff, prime and paint. But if it were me, I'd take them to a powder coating shop, have them stripped, and then powder coated your chosen color (I like Cardinal brand powder coat).

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
When you do paint, if you want the color to be brighter use primer, then a couple coats of white and then the color. The white will make the color "pop" a lot more.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

Any recommendations for types of primer and paint I should use? The rattle can varities? A rustoleum based paint?

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
I've used Rustoleum on a shocking and large number of parts on my truck. For the skids, the paint will NOT last or stand up to trail rash, but the whole point is that it's stupid easy to fix. Hit a rock, lose some paint, 10 secs of spray and you're back in business.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I find that High Temperature Engine Enamel works quite well and holds up pretty good
It comes in many different colors - Red too for sure

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've used Rustoleum on a shocking and large number of parts on my truck. For the skids, the paint will NOT last or stand up to trail rash, but the whole point is that it's stupid easy to fix. Hit a rock, lose some paint, 10 secs of spray and you're back in business.
Tibaal,

Certainly understood that when it takes its lumps it will come off and thats to be expected. I've only been asking because I've been reading other threads where the paint job has completely failed and come off on its own. Whether due to cracking, chipping, or the primer failing.

But I will be giving them plenty of opportunity to come off in a forced manner!! :rocker: :cheers:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts