Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I assume a significant number of people here have faded plastic on their steering wheels like I did. I wanted to share what mine looks like after using some vinyl/fabric paint (coating?).

I removed the airbag, and got some steel wool to rough up the surface, and then cleaned the surfaces really well with some soapy water. Next I masked off the areas I didn't want to paint. My tape wasn't quite flexible enough, so I used a razor blade to cut it to shape. Then wipe the surfaces off once more. I took it outside and started to spray it based on the instructions on the can. I just held the airbag in my hand while I painted so I could get a good angle on all surfaces. I applied a few thin coats until it seemed to have good coverage, then let it sit for a few hours. I lightly used the steel wool again on the dried paint to smooth it out. I think it turned out pretty good, but time will tell if it holds up to being handled frequently.

38A01D64-4600-4D4C-8910-AC9013FD106D.jpeg IMG_3448.jpeg IMG_3451.jpeg IMG_3454.jpeg IMG_3455.jpeg IMG_3456.jpeg

·
Registered
2008 FJ Cruiser, original owner
16 Posts
Wow, I've got a 2008 and it's not faded at all, never kept in a garage. Are you out west in the heat and sun? What I do have is little dings and dents from rings, I guess. I'm hanging on to this post just in case - you did a great job on that, looks like new!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks you! Faded probably wasn't the correct word. I should have said "worn out", since I think it is just years of hands rubbing on these over the years and miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts